Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unauthorised debit taken from AIB Account

Options
  • 14-08-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I will be calling AIB about this but I'm stuck at work and can't use the phone for a while, hoping I can get an answer on here so I know what to expect when I call them.

My mobile phone and internet provider had assured me that my DD date was changed over to the end of the month, which I requested when I recently changed jobs.
    I just checked my account and I'm overdrawn as they have debited on the original date and not changed it correctly as requested.
    I called them and they admitted error but basically, there is nothing they can do and the new payment date will take effect from next month now.

The problem is I'm now screwed for cash - I have literally 23e to live on until the 28th and my petrol tank is almost empty.

As I didn't agree to the amount being debited on the day it was and they should have a recorded call to prove this in my favour, if I call AIB and complain will they be able to reverse the transaction for me?
    I'm also disputing the amount that was taken, another error on the phone peoples part, so even though I have previously signed a DDM with them they have abused it by taking an incorrect amount on an incorrect day.

Where do I stand with this?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Essentially there's nothing the bank can do. They'll tell you that the DD agreement is between you and the company and the bank merely facilitate it. Your issue is with your service provider, who have already admitted fault and can, despite what they say, refund you the money.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AIB should be able to refund you under the Direct Debit Indemnity scheme, give them a ring and they can sort it out for you. They can unpay the DD as it isn't drawn in accordance with the mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I got to speak to AIB and they can reverse the DD as it was unauthorised.
    They were very helpful.
    Just have to put it in writing and it should be reversed within 10 days, very good service I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I got to speak to AIB and they can reverse the DD as it was unauthorised.
    They were very helpful.
    Just have to put it in writing and it should be reversed within 10 days, very good service I think :)

Sorry for my bad advice in that case! Had the same thing wih them a couple of years ago and had to sort it myself. Glad to hear they can do it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

You should cancel the direct debit and pay them by other means (credit transfer / internet banking) in future. This is why direct debits suck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Glad you got sorted op
    This happened me before but in my case it pushed my account into unauthorised overdraft so the DD was returned unpaid - all in all, I racked up €15 in charges😒
    Gave the company that took the DD a roasting and got the fees credited to my next bill 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Jesus Christ - AIB have just called to say that I was previously misadvised and they can actually NOT reverse the DD.

They've also told me that the phone company can continue to go into my account and take money whenever the hell they like as the way they do it is to use different ref numbers each time...

So the only sure fire way of making sure no more money is taken from my account is to close the AIB account and open a new one :eek:

Just thought I'd put an update on in case any one else searches with a similar query in the future.

To say my weekend is ruined is an understatement :(

Advertisement