Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Tippet Material

Options
  • 14-08-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Looking for some advice on the best tippet material for dry fly fishing ideally in 4lb but 3lb would do. Hoping to find something thats clear and with a small diameter and also will sink readily without dragging the fly down.
    I have tried the 6x tapered leaders and they are great but as I'm still new to fly fishing I get snagged a bit and lose end few feet a bit and want to just add back onto them as it would break the bank to keep replacing them.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

This or Co-polymer
    FluoroCarbon Its Invisible in water,Where are Fishing Around?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Mainly the Tolka for the moment building up to branching out to other waters. I heard flourocarbon can be very dense and can drag flies down.

And You Should Get Gink ( Its Keeps The Dry Fly Up in the Water without Sinking For 6-8 Hours!
    http://www.fishingmegastore.com/gherkes-gink~1284.html

Yeah I am using Gink at the moment so that should hold the fly up with fluoro?

Not for me i use normal nylon when fishing i think Copolymer Probably is the best But i've caught my biggest River wild brownie (5lb) with nylon

• Advertisement

What breaking strain are you generally using and is there a particular brand and colour (clear or the brownish green) you favour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I fish a furled leader then 3-6lb fluorocarbon. On a river the fluoro doesnt have enough time to sink even very small flies but I like the fact it sinks itself. I use this guys fluorocarbon now, http://www.fishskb.co.uk/ , I used to use Riverge and I have noticed no change in quality since the switch and its half the price. Email him and he will supply you top class furled leaders, I make my own but use the ones he supplies for light dry fly fishing. He gets them from a guy on a Forum in the UK that makes them and they are top class.

Cheers for the reply I must admit I am going to have to hit google to find out what a furled leader is but its all a learning experience.

Thanks again

6lb Brown Floro

And Nylon Brown I use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Where are you getting coloured fluorocarbon ? Flouro has a similar light refraction as water so adding a colour to it will make it more visible which is not something you want when buying expensive fluorocarbon. I think your brown fluorocarbon is simple coated nylon.

Ended up getting Rio Powerflex tippet and seems to be great had 5 trout on it yesterday all under half a pound unfortunately. The only issue I have with it is its prone to knotting but thats probably my sloppy casting and its low diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I use Stroft for dry flies - its very limp which helps with avoiding drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

If there was such a thing as best tippet then there would only be one or 2 types on the market. What's best for you won't be best for me. Try a few and make up your own mind. Don't worry about sinking your leader, paul Procter doesn't and that's good enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Bromium wrote: »
    Ended up getting Rio Powerflex tippet and seems to be great had 5 trout on it yesterday all under half a pound unfortunately. The only issue I have with it is its prone to knotting but thats probably my sloppy casting and its low diameter.

Powerflex is very good line. But yes it knots.
    My opinion is to go as fine a diameter as you can. For dries I normally use 0.14 to 0.12mm to even 0.10mm depending upon water conditions. The lower the clearer the finer I go.
    A word of warning though the stated diameters on some tippet spools are incorrect, often larger than stated (many reasons and excuses for this).

Stroft ABR is very good line it's diameters are accurate.
    My choice now is stroft ABR.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

stylie wrote: »
    I fish a furled leader then 3-6lb fluorocarbon. On a river the fluoro doesnt have enough time to sink even very small flies but I like the fact it sinks itself. I use this guys fluorocarbon now, http://www.fishskb.co.uk/ , I used to use Riverge and I have noticed no change in quality since the switch and its half the price. Email him and he will supply you top class furled leaders, I make my own but use the ones he supplies for light dry fly fishing. He gets them from a guy on a Forum in the UK that makes them and they are top class.

That line is 9 pound sterling for 50m spool, riverge is about 19-20 pounds sterling on ebay for 100m spool.

Advertisement