Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Whitehall or Cabra, is it safe?

Options
  • 14-08-2013 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

I want to buy a little old cottage and there are some cute in Whitehall, and Cabra. The Whitehall area near the Comet Pub. Is that a fairly safe area? Would my house be a target for burglary or my car subject to damage? I have already had white paint poured over my black car once and don't want it to happen again!
    Any advice greatly appreciated. Can anyone recommend some good streets in Whitehall or Cabra? I don't want to move into an area where my house would be a target for burglary. Eg. I don't want my 5 year old car to stand out and make my house a target for burglars. Maybe I am just paranoid because I have already had paint poured over it. I would hate to move into an area and be broken into or have my car damaged. Thanks in advance!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Live right beside Santry, Whitehall is *okay*. You'll have scummers hanging around near The Comet although I'm not sure how bad they actually are. I don't know the actual crime stats or anything but if I was moving I wouldn't pick Whitehall. That said it'll be grand for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭druidstone

Thanks for the tip! My hubby said he got "bad vibe" about Whitehall. Gotta trust your instinct!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Don't think, the whole lot of Whitehall is that bad, I'm in Collinswood, and it's okay over there.

But I think, there is loads of traffic on Swords Road, as it leads to the Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Check out Collinswood, my cousins live there and it's a lovely neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭weldon

Whitehall really is fine. In all my years growing up there I saw very little trouble, if any at all. Like anywhere there are teenagers but they tend to keep to themselves and congregate in Ellenfield Park. I've moved out of home a few years now but this is definitely somewhere I would move back to.

• Advertisement

thanks so much for the replies, we were looking at a place in Larkhill road is that OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Larkhill Road is perfectly safe, been around the area tonnes of times with schools etc. Teenagers do seem to gather around Ellenfield Park alright but other than that, there's really no other problems. :)

thanks so much for the tip, it looks OK to me too :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ah yeah its dead quiet around that road! never heard of whitehall being referred as in any way dodgy. I lived just opposite the comet and never saw anything. Not even the usual gang of teens

thanks for the tip, Adamski8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Which end of Larkhill ?
    Never heard of Whitehall being dodgy myself and I've been around a few years and recently moved into the area. My OH has also lived in the area all her life with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

what part of cabra are you looking at ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Live right next to Whitehall myself and would say it's perfectly safe.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

In Whitehall years, and my wife for years before that. I wouldn't live anywhere else tbh, dead quiet with great ameneties and transport links. Win win

Not sure which part of Cabra, the houses look similar to Whitehall and I really like the style of them. I have heard the West part of Cabra isn't the best but I am not sure if that's true any more. The person who told me used to live in Phibs. So I would be looking at Cabra East. I seem to like Whitehall more because the Omni Park shops is close by!

not sure which end of Larkhill, either would be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

Best part of Cabra is around Christ the King church, south of Fassaugh rd, north of the road can be a bit rough at times

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

From Whitehall all my life (comet bungalows) and lived there till recently enough - its a great area with great amenities and its close to town, not much of a problem with scummers but a fair few teenagers hang around shops and shopping centre area, like most places...

Not much crime really and everything is fairly quiet and sleepy most of the time...

My (biased) 2 cents.... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MrShivers

Cabra isn't that bad at all but if you are worried then East Cabra nearer to Phibsborough/Cabra road area is preferrable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Eshaness wrote: »
    Best part of Cabra is around Christ the King church, south of Fassaugh rd, north of the road can be a bit rough at times
    second that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

adamski8 wrote: »
    Ah yeah its dead quiet around that road! never heard of whitehall being referred as in any way dodgy. I lived just opposite the comet and never saw anything. Not even the usual gang of teens

You'd want to open your eyes :)

About 2 weeks ago, those teenagers were jumping up and down on the bus shelter.

Then last week as I cycled past, I was shouted at by 2 morons at that wall outside the shops.

Those shops are a magnet for them, those teenagers definitely come from Larkhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

druidstone wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip! My hubby said he got "bad vibe" about Whitehall. Gotta trust your instinct!
    Not in this case; Whitehall's absolutely fine. The "scummers" mentioned earlier in the thread amount to a few harmless teenage shams hanging around the Spar outside the comet or drinking in Ellenfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

gurramok wrote: »
    You'd want to open your eyes :)

About 2 weeks ago, those teenagers were jumping up and down on the bus shelter.

Then last week as I cycled past, I was shouted at by 2 morons at that wall outside the shops.

Those shops are a magnet for them, those teenagers definitely come from Larkhill.

well actually i havent lived there in 4 years now i think of it, maybe its attracted more scum, still pass by now and then usually to the omni. not as much scum there as other shopping centers thats for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

adamski8 wrote: »
    well actually i havent lived there in 4 years now i think of it, maybe its attracted more scum, still pass by now and then usually to the omni. not as much scum there as other shopping centers thats for sure

Actually my mistake, the bus shelter is up further :). They were on an Eircom phonebox instead!

Yeh, I wouldn't live right beside shops which attract them in numbers.

well just too hard to find a house in Dublin, and when we find a place, people have already bid over the asking price. all thats left are the houses that nobody wants because they are so full of damp and damage you cant live in them. so we are moving to Cork ... the adventure continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

druidstone wrote: »
    well just too hard to find a house in Dublin, and when we find a place, people have already bid over the asking price. all thats left are the houses that nobody wants because they are so full of damp and damage you cant live in them. so we are moving to Cork ... the adventure continues!

Id be careful, I hear we are cutting cork off and floating it into the atlantic

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

listermint wrote: »
    Id be careful, I hear we are cutting cork off and floating it into the atlantic

:P

as suburbs go......Cork is quiet dacent.......

oh no! we better learn how to swim

Advertisement