Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actual trans women friendly places?

Options
  • 14-08-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm trying to find a place to meet people and hopefully make friends. But everywhere I can think of seems to be geared towards cis gays/lesbians. I'd rather not go to a place then find out they're all biological essentialists and have othered women like me before I even step in the door. Like, the common argument I get is that I can't be a lesbian since I don't have a vagina. I already know it's a bull**** argument but it's just so prevalent.

I don't know, it just seems that whenever I check out a place that's touted as being trans friendly it's more for cis gay crossdressers and not transgender women.

Any advice/help? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

i agree with you.it is so hard to find places that cater for the genuine trans/crosdresser.
    if you put in what area you are in someone on here might come up with something.

toni

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm living around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hey,

I'm trying to find a place to meet people and hopefully make friends. But everywhere I can think of seems to be geared towards cis gays/lesbians. I'd rather not go to a place then find out they're all biological essentialists and have othered women like me before I even step in the door. Like, the common argument I get is that I can't be a lesbian since I don't have a vagina. I already know it's a bull**** argument but it's just so prevalent.

I don't know, it just seems that whenever I check out a place that's touted as being trans friendly it's more for cis gay crossdressers and not transgender women.

Any advice/help? Thanks in advance.

Hey OP. I'm not trans so I can't speak to that experience, but there are a number of trans women in the Running Amach group, which is primarily based in Dublin but does have national events. Certainly I've not heard anything negative about their presence, if anything it's welcomed as part of the diverse group of women.

I think the higher age profile of the group helps- there's less "there's only one way to be a lesbian" guff in there, from my experience anyway.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Have you tried the Dublin Trans Peer Support Group?
    It's not specifically a social space but it could be a way for you to seek a social space

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement