Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17.3 screen i5, 8gb and 1TB = €613. Good deal?

Options
  • 13-08-2013 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi, looking at this dell

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&kc=&oc=CN57140

It has i5, 8gb and ITB and I year McAfee at €659,
    7% coupons on the site bring it to €613.

Is this the best bang I will get for my buck? Want the 17 inch screen
    Don't really want to spend anymore.

Don't do gaming so word and excel, surf the net, pay bills, access materials for an online course and read boards.ie!!

I am thinking well capable of my needs for good few years?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

An ULV processor in a 17" "desktop replacement"? Bit of a funny combo. ;)

And not exactly a killer deal. Posted a 17" Toshiba Core i5 (the "real deal") in another thread for €550.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭cathy427

Torqay wrote: »

And not exactly a killer deal. Posted a 17" Toshiba Core i5 (the "real deal") in another thread for €550.

Thanks v much for that

Not sure what this means - is this good or bad towards the laptop?
    A

That one now seems to be gone up to 582.27 and has 4gb ram and 500 gb hard drive where as the dell has 8gb and ITB

So at €30 dearer (with one yr MacAfee - but dont want to get sidelined on a virus protection discussion) is it closer to a "killer deal" ?

Am not sure what you mean by killer deal* - am wondering am I getting the best value for my money getting the i5, 8gb ram and ITB hardrive.

*ie cheapest or best value?
    Am I comparing like with like in the Toshiba v. Dell if they have different ram and hard drive?

This Acer is now at 559. It has i5, 6gb ram and 750gb hard drive. So the middle of the other two in terms of ram and hard drive but the cheapest overall. Which do people think is the best? Is there something I am missing?
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_V3-771_Core_i5_6GB_750GB_17.3_inch_Windows_8_Laptop__NX.RYREK.015/version.asp

ULV = ultra low voltage. Better energy efficiency (battery life) but but less processing power (this one is actually slower than a reguler Core i3).

Such processors are used in Ultrabooks to improve mobility, not really a factor with a clumsy 17" laptop.

tKXRBdp.jpg

YUl2Cyf.jpg

SaymtPC.jpg

P.S. RAM should be the least of your concerns. Memory is cheap enough and easily upgraded.

Thanks very much for that.

So will it slow down the processing power of that laptop?

Well, you're buying a Core i5 with the processing power of a Core i3. Unless you need to squeeze as much as possible out of the battery, this processor doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement

All new to me so,

do all i5 3337 u run at 1.8ghz?

Does the site saying upto 2.7ghz make any difference?

Thanks for all the help.

Thought it was as simple as go for i5 and you will be fine!

cathy427 wrote: »
    All new to me so,

do all i5 3337 u run at 1.8ghz?

Does the site saying upto 2.7ghz make any difference?

Thanks for all the help.

Thought it was as simple as go for i5 and you will be fine!

1.8 GHz regular, up to 2.7 GHz with Turbo Boost.

A normal Core i5 3230M runs at 2.6 GHz regularly, up to 3.2 GHz with Turbo Boost.

Do you reckon for my fairly light needs I would be better off just getting a good i3 and spending less.

Once I get it want to be done with it, don't want to add ram etc later

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rocko

Have you got a link to the above Toshiba laptop for €550.... Thanks

Rocko wrote: »
    Have you got a link to the above Toshiba laptop for €550.... Thanks

Posted here.

• Advertisement

cathy427 wrote: »
    Do you reckon for my fairly light needs I would be better off just getting a good i3 and spending less.

Once I get it want to be done with it, don't want to add ram etc later

A "desktop replacement" usually sees heavier usage than a normal laptop. Nothing wrong with a Core i5 here and you wouldn't save much on a Core i3, €40-50 maybe.

Advertisement