Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon bait?

Options
  • 13-08-2013 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

i have a salmon licence!
    im fishing in about 2-4foot of water
    i have permission to fish the river by the Land owner!
    i can see salmon swimming in groups of 2-6

should i use black or red worms???

spinners?

spoons?

flyinc C's?

floating worms/maggots?

prawns?

any tips???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

spinners?

spoons?

flyinc C's?

floating worms/maggots?

prawns?

any tips???

You dont ask for much do you. Everything there will catch Salmon even maggots, though some are more successful than others.
    Where do you fish ? what are the conditions like ?

Flying C's are the quickest and easiest way to catch a Salmon. You dont mention the fly so the next best and easiest would be worms. Large dendrobaena worms or black heads will do the trick. Prawn/Shrimp will catch Salmon but are trickier to fish than the C or worm.
    Tbh your post does not have enough information for anyone here to advise you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

More importantly do you have a licence for salmon?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Why dont you just answer the lads question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Snowc wrote: »
    Why dont you just answer the lads question ?

Would you help someone catch a salmon that had no licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

spinners?

spoons?

flyinc C's?

floating worms/maggots?

prawns?

any tips???

To answer your questions spoons and spinners are the easiest a Toby or a flying c work well especially just after a flood when the water is dropping and is still merky. This is the best option for a beginner starting

Worms work well to though you have to have a lot of patience only fished it a few times and I just use a simple setup a fairly good sized clear float with two split shots on either side to control the depth then a bullet and another stop split shot i do cover the hook and only leave the tip of the hook out....or to simply fish the bottom just a hook a fairly heavy bullet
    aand a split shot to stop that...I wait for the float to completely dip under the water but if your planning on releasing them your better to strike at the slightest dip as of you wait they hook themselves deep
    Prawns and shrimps? Well some lads frown on them and say that the fish they don't catch you can drive out of the pool or something I don't know I think this is probably the most productive bait fishing method...I use the same setup as the float fished worm but the main difference is to use a shrimping pin and with this you have to strike at the slighest tip as they don't normally take it hard.I heard the idea is that you fool them into thinking there still in the estuary.don't know how true this is but anyway .

To be honest you can use all these methods for hours and hours with nothing to show for but the best thing to do is to learn the stretch of the river well,I mean the holes,pools etc.I'm lucky to know a fella who showed me the ropes.
    Remember to keep the license on ya(presuming you have one) as the baliffs don't take that many excuses and theyll land ya with a fine as quick as lightning if you havnt a license etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Bear in mind too that the water you fish may well dictate the method you use.
    There may be "Fly Only" for example or no worm fishing, or single barbless hook.
    You need to be absolutely sure of the water you intend fishing.
    Importantly, like another poster said, you need the state licence, and usually a local permit for the specific fishery your on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Irish_Fisher

ya i got a licence about a week ago in tuam, so i am new to salmon fishing!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Would you help someone catch a salmon that had no licence?
    They will be salmon after us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

They will be salmon after us

Are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Bizzum wrote: »
    Are you sure?
    No, they are in danger ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Irish_Fisher

ok, thanks. i was out fishing a few days ago and the bailiffs were around and gave 3 or 4 people a fine and took all of their fishing gear. good thing i have a licence :P

Advertisement