Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bought a Hi-Matic. I am not a hipster, just someone looking for advice...

Options
  • 13-08-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

First time in these parts of Boards. Hows it going everyone...

Anyway I picked up a Minolta Hi-Matic G2 in the Liquidators shop in Tallaght the other day for 8 quid.

I used to do photography in school in the 90's so i though it looked like fun.

Anyway Its in great nick, havent got around to putting film into it yet.

I'd appreciate any advice, tips, knowledge about it and also whats the story with buying film and getting it developed in Dublin these days.

I am not a hipster.

Honestly, I'm not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Go to Gunns in Wexford Street for film. Family owned and run, really great, great people in there. Helpful, knowledgeable and just down right nice. Their film prices are probably some of the cheapest in Dublin too, with a good selection as well. They can develop colour and B&W but not slide film. They can also scan your negs too onto CD if you want for an extra cost.

If you're going to be shooting lots of film then it works out cheaper in the long run to buy a neg scanner, something like an Epson V500/V600/V700 etc... After 30 rolls or so you'll break even on the cost of the scanner (or at least I did with my scanner). You can also control how you scan them, adjust them, have a higher res file if you want/need. They can scan medium format too which is a bonus.

There is nothing hipster about shooting film. I shoot film almost all the time for personal stuff as do many users on here (anything from 10 year out of date 110 film, 35mm, medium format etc..). I find it more exciting and enjoyable and love the difference in texture, quality and tonality of it.

Good luck with the new camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

pete4130 wrote: »
    There is nothing hipster about shooting film.
    I'd have to disagree. Shooting film is totally hipster. It doesn't mean that's why you or I shoot film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pete4130 wrote: »
    (anything from 10 year out of date 110 film, 35mm, medium format etc..)
    i still have a couple of rolls of orwo that john gunn gave me a few years ago - best before date of january 1973.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

i still have a couple of rolls of orwo that john gunn gave me a few years ago - best before date of january 1973.

I got a roll of agfapan expired 1974 from pullandbang. It was a bit ... fogged ...

This was shot at about 200
    5269117311_f4696a270d_z.jpg

This was shot at about 50, so heavy overeexposure seems to be the key :-D

5269113023_9e5bcfbb49_z.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the stuff john gave me was fine; nominally 80 ISO, but i exposed as if it was 80, then 40, 20, and 10. between 10 and 20 seemed to be the sweet spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Its been such a long time since i've done film photography.

I picked up some colour film in town today as i passed Conns

Its 200...If i change the camera settings to a higher or lower setting how does that affect the picture?

this is an example of a shot i got on the orwo:

orwo20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

giftgrub wrote: »
    Its been such a long time since i've done film photography.

I picked up some colour film in town today as i passed Conns

Its 200...If i change the camera settings to a higher or lower setting how does that affect the picture?

if you change the camera settings to higher (i.e. 400) you'll underexpose the film, by one stop in this case. Setting it to lower, 100 say, will overexpose the film, again by one stop. In general if you're shooting negative, overexposure is vastly preferred to underexposure. Underexposure will over saturate the colours and result in grainier prints and loss of detail in the shadows.

Advertisement