Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pup snapping at 5yr old

Options
  • 13-08-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

We have a 5mth old golden retriever pup who has started snapping at our 5 year old. They play rough and tumble, sometimes ds getting rougher with her, hence the snapping.
    How do I stop this now before it gets out of hand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joliecavalier

If your pup gets too rough you have to stop playing straight away. Our pup is 6 months now and has more or less stopped this or has got a lot gentler. I found these videos quite good on youtube. Good Luck :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwHk3o3P5cw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

You have to teach your child not to play roughly with the puppy. I have a 5 year old with a severe disability and she is not allowed be rough with the dogs ever.

The puppy is trying to communicate that it does not like the rough playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Op,

Your puppy is trying to communicate .. And their only way is by barking, growling or snapping.. That's it!

You need to stop this behaviour on two fronts...

Firstly you mentioned your child at times can play too rough.... You must explain why they cannot do this.. If ur child accidentally hurts the dog, it will react... If they play too rough, the dog will react... So you need to explain to ur child what will happen if they continue to play rough... Now I understand it can be difficult to explain to a child but there are child posters that help, with the aid of drawings / pictures to show a child how to treat / interact with a dog etc.

Ill post them for you tomorrow I can't upload from my iPhone etc.

Second front is if the dog snaps you must say no immediately.., stop all play and send them to their bed etc. no interaction from ur child either or it's giving mixed signals etc.

Do this over and over again until both ur child and ur dog learn to treat eachother etc!

OP...

Here are some posters that may help your 5 year old understand dogs better....

Hope these help....

Its sooo important you address both your child and your dogs behaviour or someone will get hurt and this could end badly not only for your child but for your poor puppy also...

Best of luck!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ashydol

Thank you all for your replies, we were all very upset last night about this. I am going use all those tips from today on, should have been doing it all along.
    I may be back again for more advice, but I hope not!
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement

ashydol wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies, we were all very upset last night about this. I am going use all those tips from today on, should have been doing it all along.
    I may be back again for more advice, but I hope not!
    Thanks again.

Hope the posters help...

kids and puppies can get over excited at times.... but with some guidelines / rules for both they should be fine.... just be stern with both your child and your puppy and they will be fine and grow up together the best of friends :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

cocker5 wrote: »

Second front is if the dog snaps you must say no immediately.., stop all play and send them to their bed etc.

i'd disagree with this part. a dogs bed or crate shouldnt be used as a punishment (you may not intend it that way but thats how the dog would see it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

We are training our excitable 13 week old puppy right now. Our 6 year old daughter loves playing with him, and we've taught her that if he snaps or mouths too hard to say a firm no, and stand up and stay still like a tree, thus withdrawing 'fun' so to speak. It's working well.

Advertisement