Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPA Work Experience.

Options
  • 13-08-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

In the past number of years I have completed an Accounting Technicans course ( IATI ) and also the Certified Public Accountants course ( CPA ) .I have never worked in the sector and so I have not obtained any relevant work experience. I have forwarded CV's to all firms on the CPA employer list but to no avail.
    I apply for all Trainee Accountant positions but most of these are only looking for Graduate candidates.
    If anyone has also gone through this situation and may have some useful advice I would be very grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SashaH

where exactly are you based? would you move for a position?

Cork and Dublin seem to have vacancies for trainees. The cpa website changed recently and it looks like they have a better job search thing. i used indeed job alerts to help me look out for work. just set up an alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gee Kay

I am currently based in Donegal but I am well prepared to move anywhere to gain the relevant experience and employment opportunities.
    I have job alerts coming in from all the job web sites and have signed up with numerous online recruitment agencies.
    Yes the cpaireland web site has improved and the work opportunities listed have increased.However,I have contacted cpaireland on numerous occasions with regards to having my details included on their "Job Seekers" section but I have not had any luck this far.Although I am sure they will contact me when it is time for renewing my subscription.

it can be tough to secure a trainee position but once your in the door its uphilll from there. I lost out to all the big 4 but in the end I was quite happy where I ended up, medium sized practice. Although industry is looking pretty attractive now.

my experience with cpa has been more positive. but i was Dublin based at the time and was able to drop in to the institute when I was walking by. mightbe worth picking up the phone to them...

other than that id say stay positive and keep applying.

good luck

SH

Thank you for your advice SashaH. Just frustrated at the lack of any positive feedback from any application.However,I have had contact with the CPA Institute and they have given me advice on how best to increase my chances of obtaining a Trainee position.So once again thank you.

No problem.

Actually, any advice on the P2 exams? I deferred from April to August my first exams for personal reasons.

Any advice on open book ? Did you bring much else in with you?

• Advertisement

On my first sitting I flunk'd 3 because I was second guessing everything.I had never sat an open book format before and I spent the whole time looking through notes to confirm what I thought I already knew.
    For the second sitting I culled most of the books.I broke down notes to simple references that I could get to quickly.
    It all depends on yourself and how you feel you are with each subject.Like Leadership Q1 follows the same format.I had most of Q1 answered in my notes and just filled in critical data from the case study.
    For me time was the killer and I didn't fully finish any paper but I still got there in the end.
    Everyone has different techniques but so long as you go in expecting to pass you will be fine.

Thanks for that GK, yes I think youre right. Open book is new to me and I dont think leafing through page after page of post its and index markers will save precious time. Ill break things into manageable notes and work from them.

thank you again. ;)

Advertisement