Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance Question

Options
  • 13-08-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

So about a year ago I was covered with health insurance under a family policy but when that ended I never took anything out for myself,so have no health insurance,never thought about it until now as I have had to make a doctors appointment privately and I may have to have an operation after this costing in the region of 600 - 2000 Euro.

If I take out a policy now will it cover me immedately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Son wrote: »
    So about a year ago I was covered with health insurance under a family policy but when that ended I never took anything out for myself,so have no health insurance,never thought about it until now as I have had to make a doctors appointment privately and I may have to have an operation after this costing in the region of 600 - 2000 Euro.

If I take out a policy now will it cover me immedately?

That would be classed as preexisting and they would not cover this for 5 years.

Check this website out for more info. http://www.hia.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Ok no bother thanks,will just have to dig into the pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I believe, and may be wrong, you have 6 months between when a policy ends to the next policy starts, before they start enforcing pre-existings. At least that's what VHI told me when I was leaving them for another insurer.

Maybe it was 6 weeks. Ring them and ask. It will only cost you a phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

On the plus side, average cover is approaching €1k a year now, so that should be taken in to account on what your op will cost you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭LostArt

RangeR wrote: »
    I believe, and may be wrong, you have 6 months between when a policy ends to the next policy starts, before they start enforcing pre-existings. At least that's what VHI told me when I was leaving them for another insurer.

Maybe it was 6 weeks. Ring them and ask. It will only cost you a phone call.

Unfortunately, you are incorrect. It's 13 weeks, any longer and you are subject to the new customer waiting periods again so a 5 year wait for pre existing conditions.

Op has two options, public system or pay himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

LostArt wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you are incorrect. It's 13 weeks, any longer and you are subject to the new customer waiting periods again so a 5 year wait for pre existing conditions.

Op has two options, public system or pay himself.

Fair enough,. However OP never said how long ago his lapsed. Might still be in luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Just to clear up it has lapsed probably over a year! Thanks anyway!

Advertisement