Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Financial Planning

Options
  • 13-08-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I'm not quite sure where to put this so you might point me in the right direction.

I am looking for information on a typical family 2+2 household monthly shopping bill to find out if I spend the norm or are over or under this. I have searched the CSO website but find it complicated. Is there any definitive information out there? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Adverts.ie: Eddie

I don't know where is best for this but I do know it isn't an adverts.ie issue.

Moved to consumer issues from the adverts talk to forum in the hope that this is the correct place.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Dont know what the norm is but we spend 150 a week: 2 adults and 2 2 year olds. We also have an Aupair but before she arrive we would spend about 120 a week on average. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Very hard to get an average that is in anyway meaningful.
    You can have a family that eat loads of frozen and processed foods that would click up big bills, and then you could have another that cook their own food and watch every penny carefully. Even something as preferring olive oil to veg oil can make a big difference.

Even consumer groups have weird ideas as to what a typical shop is, I remember a few years back they included a bottle of vodka and an electric toothbrush,

J think you need to make a list of everything you buy and see if you have any excessive costs there.

Also look at how much food you throw out , no point buying a load of cheap food and throwing half of it away!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Those cso figures must be some where, they still do a test shop every few months. I'll have a look later.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

The latest results on the site I can find are for 2009-2010 published last year..
    http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/housing/2010/0910first.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 BDSC1964

thanks pug and others. I went through this very indepth report and you need to analyse the tables to get a definitive 2+2 food bill and they dont mention size of family that I can see. It's odd most people I talk to dont seem to keep tabs on it. I recon it's about 200 a week. I find also when I try and buy fresh produce it goes through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

An Irish blogger Wholesome Ireland, just recently posted something similar to this. She compared grocery costs in 2011 to the same basket in 2013. She found that the package size of some items had decreased while the overall basket cost increased from €70 to €85

I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but it is interesting.

Advertisement