Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat fishing on River Shannon

Options
  • 13-08-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭

I'm going on an Emerald Star boat for 10 days 31st August - 10th September.

I'm looking to do a bit of fishing just for fun whilst there.

Just wondering what type of rod/reel and line & bait would I need, or would be best (on a budget). Not looking to invest in something expensive, just a €50 or whatever rod to do me for the 10 days. (Or can you hire them?)

Will probably be cruising 3 hours per day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

What are you aiming to catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Super-Rush wrote: »
    What are you aiming to catch?

Not sure lol.

What would you think yourself...
    I'm just doing it for the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

DaLad wrote: »
    Not sure lol.

What would you think yourself...
    I'm just doing it for the fun.

Your best bet could be getting a small spinning rod and reel and a few spinners or small lures. There is plenty of sport to be had with Perch and small jack pike.

It would also double up as a makeshift float rod. Get a few stick floats, some lead shot and hooks and a pint of maggots. The Shannon is full of small roach, skimmer bream, Rudd and hybrids.

Find out if there is a tackle shop near where you are leaving from. Any shop should be able to kit you out for less than €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Your best bet could be getting a small spinning rod and reel and a few spinners or small lures. There is plenty of sport to be had with Perch and small jack pike.

It would also double up as a makeshift float rod. Get a few stick floats, some lead shot and hooks and a pint of maggots. The Shannon is full of small roach, skimmer bream, Rudd and hybrids.

Find out if there is a tackle shop near where you are leaving from. Any shop should be able to kit you out for less than €50.

Nice, thanks for your input!

I'm leaving from Carrick on Shannon! I'll probably try buy the rod & reel before I leave tho. Is there any decent Irish website that sells them for a reasonable price do you or anyone know? I'll look in a shop or 2 near me in the coming week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Toomans is a tackle shop in Carrick on Shannon.
    Usually quite reasonable in price and they are right beside the bridge.

They dont have a website for the shop, but also have a fishery and contact details for the shop are on the fishery website (not a fantastic site).
    http://www.toomanfisheries.com/shop.html

Henrys have a decent enough online shop and can probably ship down to you in time.
    http://henrystackleshop.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement