Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One pipe system

Options
  • 13-08-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Unusual one lads, oil boiler replacement job, small system, only 7 radiators, on a one pipe system. Primary circuit is 3/4", rads are about 10 years old, no hot water (community hall), system power flushed, same circulating pump, but heat will not rise into rads.
    Boiler heats up, pipework heats, and returns normally. He tried balancing, opening fully, everything possible, but no joy.
    Rads are bottom entry, opposite ends, myson rad valves. He removed each rad, let a bucket of water from each end, no problem.
    Poor chap is mystified, I have not seen the job(2 hours away), any ideas????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

Any part of the rads get hot?...strange to see BOE rads on a one pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Is it not normally bottom to top entry, opposite ends for one pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

Has he checked the feed from the F/E tank?
    Is the bottom of the rads heating?
    Is there a difference in temperature between the flow and return?

Did it get sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Is it not normally bottom to top entry, opposite ends for one pipe
    Yes it is, honestly haven't seen bottom entry only on a one pipe system before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

kscobie wrote: »
    Unusual one lads, oil boiler replacement job, small system, only 7 radiators, on a one pipe system. Primary circuit is 3/4", rads are about 10 years old, no hot water (community hall), system power flushed, same circulating pump, but heat will not rise into rads.
    Boiler heats up, pipework heats, and returns normally. He tried balancing, opening fully, everything possible, but no joy.
    Rads are bottom entry, opposite ends, myson rad valves. He removed each rad, let a bucket of water from each end, no problem.
    Poor chap is mystified, I have not seen the job(2 hours away), any ideas????

Try turning down the speed of the pump to lowest setting and it should work.
    If pump is to strong then its fighting against the natural convection to rads.

Let us know how you get on.
    Hope this works as I've also seen this happen. Nice slow slow flow and be patient as rads will be slow to heat in that type of system.

It would be nice + polite if people let us know one way or the other how they got on as were giving our time and free ( + varied) advice trying to help them out.

scudo2 wrote: »
    It would be nice + polite if people let us know one way or the other how they got on as were giving our time and free ( + varied) advice trying to help them out.

No reply ............yet.........!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

No reply ............yet.........!

Welcome to boards!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Don't think he's being rude guys, he hasn't been logged on since his last post.

• Advertisement

DGOBS wrote: »
    Don't think he's being rude guys, he hasn't been logged on since his last post.

I'm just talking in general to replys, a lot of ye have been around on boards.ie a long time, do ye get annoyed about lack of thanks for your free professional advice to strangers, at least we sort of know and appericate each others opinion, even if it conflicts. !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I'm just talking in general to replys, a lot of ye have been around on boards.ie a long time, do ye get annoyed about lack of thanks for your free professional advice to strangers, at least we sort of know and appericate each others opinion, even if it conflicts. !

.It sometimes can be a little annoying but that's the way things are.You will get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

Sorry for the delay lads, became a grandad again since :D:D:D:D:D:D

Its a guy that I worked with in the past, but he could get no heat into the rads

Pump was turned up and down, on the flow and the return, pump changed for stronger pump.

Its on a sealed system, and the boiler seems going fine.

I personally dont think it ever worked, but I will be chatting him tomorrow, and will update then

Its a guy that I worked with in the past, but he could get no heat into the rads

Pump was turned up and down, on the flow and the return, pump changed for stronger pump.

Its on a sealed system, and the boiler seems going fine.

I personally dont think it ever worked, but I will be chatting him tomorrow, and will update then

Congratulations...at least that one pipe worked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

What & you think that's a good enough excuse not to reply to the very annoyed few awaiting your response!!!

;-)

shane0007 wrote: »
    What & you think that's a good enough excuse not to reply to the very annoyed few awaiting your response!!!

;-)

Good enough excuse in my book.congrats and no pictures required for this post.

Advertisement