Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Hyperloop - Elon Musk

• 13-08-2013 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭ Colm R

There is a discussion on AH, but I thought this would be a good forum for it.

http://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/hyperloop_alpha-20130812.pdf

Firstly, I do not have enough knowledge on the subject matter to say this is workable or not. However, the idea, even as a discussion is good IMO.

My gut feeling, is even it could work, the cost of it, when compared to high speed rail is a bit optimistic. Elon Musk says it will come around $10B to connect SF to LA. The proposed high speed rail is going to hit 75 Billion mark.

Any opinions on this - pie in the sky or a new revolution on human mobility?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ fly_agaric

Colm R wrote: »
    There is a discussion on AH, but I thought this would be a good forum for it.

http://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/hyperloop_alpha-20130812.pdf

Firstly, I do not have enough knowledge on the subject matter to say this is workable or not. However, the idea, even as a discussion is good IMO.

My gut feeling, is even it could work, the cost of it, when compared to high speed rail is a bit optimistic. Elon Musk says it will come around $10B to connect SF to LA. The proposed high speed rail is going to hit 75 Billion mark.

Any opinions on this - pie in the sky or a new revolution on human mobility?

1 brief opinion from a non-expert; its a new idea (well, an old sci-fi type idea; recall something like this making an appearance in the Starship Troopers film), never implemented before. It might be great but I don't see how it could work out to be cheaper (at least to get up and running as opposed to over a 50-100 year lifespan) than the high speed rail technologies already proven in other countries. Even a mag-lev rail line should be cheaper than it imo since it has been done before.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 9,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭ iamstop

I'm loving the basic concept. I'm just wondering how people get in and out of the pods without stopping the whole thing. I've not found it explained anywhere properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭ munchkin_utd

it has a laughably low capacity which knocks the idea clean out of the water.

One person every 30 seconds is a mere 120people per hour so 2 bus loads between 2 massive cities or less than a single normal 737 sized airplane and a fraction of a larger airplane.
    And its not scalable.

If you build a railway (or airport) you can always add extra vehicles if demand increases.
    With this you have a very low capacity that cannot be altered.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭ Colm R

it has a laughably low capacity which knocks the idea clean out of the water.

One person every 30 seconds is a mere 120people per hour so 2 bus loads between 2 massive cities or less than a single normal 737 sized airplane and a fraction of a larger airplane.
    And its not scalable.

If you build a railway (or airport) you can always add extra vehicles if demand increases.
    With this you have a very low capacity that cannot be altered.

Its not even a POC yet, but the document says the Pod would carry 28 people or a car. That a could be a whopping 3360 people a hour.

Positives:

- the land grab is small and could possibly be build alongside existing interstates - in fact he thinks for the POC, it should run along Interstate 5.

- building along existing roads means construction is easier in remote areas.

- if it works, the energy requirement after construction is small.

Negatives:

- its not even a proof of concept yet.

- it will be very hard to get investors to back a new concept like this.

I think if anyone is serious about taking this on, SF to LA is too ambitious as a first build. I think they need to look at something smaller, possibly in the desert. A distance whereby you can prove the system launches, maintains speed and slows down again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭ theSHU

Virgin Galactic's new spaceplane is said to be able to fly from London to Sydney in 2hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 danotroy

theSHU wrote: »
    Virgin Galactic's new spaceplane is said to be able to fly from London to Sydney in 2hrs.

really? is it going to do this? or will a similar craft be built to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭ steve-o

danotroy wrote: »
    really? is it going to do this? or will a similar craft be built to do this?
    Branson's spaceplane is no more than a toy. It will fling people high in the sky for a few minutes, just high enough to reach a technical line that let's them brag at the golf club that they've been in space. It's a cool machine, but has no practical use at all.

Musk, on the other hand, is building real spacecraft for a fraction of the cost that NASA used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭ Carawaystick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭ LeinsterDub

Not sure the relevance of that test to hyper loop it's a sled on a track

Advertisement