Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What changes have you noticed in your animal since Neutering/Spaying?

Options
  • 12-08-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

I was just curious as to what, if any changes you may have noticed in your pets since having them neutered or spayed?

I often hear people complaining of some negative effect on their pets and my dog is gone terribly... I don't know if I'd say jumpy...

She's fine most of the time but if we touch her when she's not expecting it, or if she turns and there is an object in her face that she didn't realise she was so close to etc.. she lets out a yelp/bark noise.

It can be embarrassing when i'm walking her because a couple of times now i've reached down to give her a gentle nudge and she cries, making it look like i'm trying to hurt her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

When was she done? Are you sure Shes not in pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I think I'd get her checked out at the vets, that sounds as though she may be having problems with her hearing, or her sight, if she's being caught unawares like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

What you are describing does not sound like normal behaviour - you will need to see a vet to make sure there isn't a health reason your dog is behaving like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From the research I've read on the subject, fear based behaviour can certainly increase in neutered dogs, but that does seem a bit extreme, like others have advised I'd be asking your vet to check her out. It may have little or nothing to do with the operation, but more about a behavioural thing that would have come out anyway.

EG my dog was a complete nutjob and handful a few months ago(and since he was a pup). He was an adolescent so... More than a couple of people suggested the usual advice of giving him the snip. Near overnight for some reason he chilled right out and is a lot less of a handful. If I'd gotten him castrated, I'd naturally think that was what had made the diff, but it wouldn't have been. Yep, defo look to professional advice just to be sure.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

I happened to be talking to my dogs' breeder about this yesterday. He got his six year old female spayed about two months ago, he said she is quite different, she has put on a lot of weight(not sure of the definitive reason) and she has become very calm, loves to relax and isn't phased by anything. We agreed that her job is done and she knows it's retirement time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

We've had a few thorough feels of her all over, rubbing, pressing and having a good feel all around her, especially her back end and tummy and this doesn't bother her at all. she doesn't seem to be in pain.

The sight/Hearing thing could be something worth looking into alright. Although she seems to us to be fine on that front. A visit back to make sure is on the cards so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

Denise90 wrote: »
    I happened to be talking to my dogs' breeder about this yesterday. He got his six year old female spayed about two months ago, he said she is quite different, she has put on a lot of weight(not sure of the definitive reason) and she has become very calm, loves to relax and isn't phased by anything. We agreed that her job is done and she knows it's retirement time :)

I had my 6 year old bitch spayed last year, and she piled on the weight. Even now i'm feeding her a fraction of what she was previously getting, and she is still heavy enough.
    She isn't as active now as she was a few years ago, so she is finding it hard to lose the extra pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Would get your dog checked out by a vet to see what is the cause of the jumpiness. In respect of putting on weight, I have a 8 year old yellow lab that was spayed when she was one. I reduced the feed then and she has still remained the same weight as before the operation (and she still has a waistline and you can feel her ribs) given the chance she would eat through her bag of nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Yes the apetite thing was prevalent in both my females after spaying and one did pile on the weight for a while - although she had a difficult op and a vet I'd never approach again but neither had any change in their nature. The male dog either, he was always a big softy.

How long is it since your dog was spayed? Perhaps she needs a check up?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Red setter got spayed there (the result of a pyometra) and the only thing that changed with her was a fondness for food.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi3GA0nbCtQ
    For any behaviour like you're describing I'd have her checked out by a vet just to be sure...
    A consult with someone in Animal Behaviour mightn't be a bad idea either.
    It could just be continuing pain or tenderness from the op (after all it is major abdominal surgery).
    Hopefully it's nothing serious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement