Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on price

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Probably a Haswell processor. Not exactly a bargain.

For little more, you'll get the PCS Skyfire III with a GTX 770M, which is a helluva lot faster than the GT 740M in the HP.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Iainkw4x

Yeah its a Haswell, checked the HP site, but what about the other specs? Would be more so for CAD, and only light gaming

I'd wait a little while until Haswell laptops become more widespread. A 17" Core i7 laptop with a medium-range GPU shouldn't cost more than 1,000 yoyos. There's a 15.6" MSI with identical specs on sale at [URL="Should be in the sticky thread: How much is my computer worth?"]SOL for £700[/URL]. If you want to spend €1,200 you'll get a much better machine.

okay thanks for the info, if my budget was 1000 would you be able to recommend a laptop or would i need to open a new thread? I liked Harvey Norman's one for their 0% finance offer as well

There's another question for you. A 17" laptop is more of a desktop replacement (as if there's such a thing), if you're looking for some mobility, you're better off with a nice 15.6" laptops with a full HD display. So, why 17"?

• Advertisement

Iainkw4x wrote: »
    I liked Harvey Norman's one for their 0% finance offer as well

Apparently, HN have the interest already calculated in the price, as you'll end up paying 200 yoyos more than elsewhere. ;)

Well I'm studying Mechanical Engineering and the course has quite a few CAD modules so I guess I'm thinking a bigger screen means a larger work area for the likes of SolidWorks and Inventor.

Well that changes things then ha

Well, if your budget is €1000, I'd rather buy the 17" Optimus V:

vQNeiHe.jpg

€1,017 in the above configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im resigned to the fact that engineering work might work best on a workstation card. grand thing for homework but your workstations in class will probably be rather... beefy.

it wont be for class just at home for study and practice and the like.

That set up looks good, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement