Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you Fake Laugh?

Options
  • 12-08-2013 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Conversation overheard between two women in a workplace (not their real names):

-God I'm swamped today Mary
    -Ahhhahahaha I'm the same Eileen! Oh God I hate Mondays
    -Ahhhahahahahah Oh God it's always the same isnt it
    -Ahhahaha, it is! I was dropping (my daughter) down to (summer camp) earlier... jesus it's great work they've done on it
    -Ahahahahahah well for them
    -God I'd love to be that age Ahahaha The freedom...
    -Too much freedom my young one has!
    -Oh! Mine too!
    -Ahhahahahah well for them
    -Ahhahahahha I sound like my mother
    -Ahahhahahah...
    -Ahahhahahah....

To any sober person, there was nothing funny about the dialogue. Yet the above continued and ended up with both women walking away from each other fake laughing in both directions. Why do people do it?

Maybe it's only intended as a way of saying "I accept you, I can relate to you", but I tend to doubt the sincerity of people who constantly do this when talking to me.

Do some people take the fake laugh too far? Are you one of these people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

ahahaha

That answer your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If I don't fake laugh all the time and try my hardest to seem super happy, people ask me what's wrong with me... It's a very annoying thing on both sides, I probably come off looking like an idiot to them and I feel like an idiot for laughing at menial sh/it.

I think this is a much deeper rooted problem than I thought before, now that I'm thinking about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

yes. manipulation of emotions is a great tool. Can be used for both good and evil. no one is 100% honest, and the ones who nearly are, rarely have friends, sad truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

No, I LOL.

• Advertisement

I can't. I'd love to, but I can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

When it comes to a lot of people, I fake laugh, interest, conversation and general interest.

There is a guy in work who is an incessant yapper. I have developed an amazing ability to say things like "yeah?" "jaysis" "shure it has to be done I suppose" at appropriate junctures in his yammering without ever listening to anything he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I only fake laugh.

I can't sense humour. I'm dead inside.

I laugh politely on occasion, without it being either entirely sincere or entirely fake. It's a social skill.

I don't think I could manage the conversation in the OP though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

keith16 wrote: »
    When it comes to a lot of people, I fake laugh, interest, conversation and general interest.

There is a guy in work who is an incessant yapper. I have developed an amazing ability to say things like "yeah?" "jaysis" "shure it has to be done I suppose" at appropriate junctures in his yammering without ever listening to anything he says.

So, so true. And it works - without that person even getting the slightest hint that your brain had shut down the minute they started talking. Is it it that they're so assured, self involved, or just firmly want someone to listen to anything they have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

I'm fake laughing right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

du Maurier wrote: »
    So, so true. And it works - without that person even getting the slightest hint that your brain had shut down the minute they started talking. Is it it that they're so assured, self involved, or just firmly want someone to listen to anything they have to say.

oh yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I used to work with a guy who had the most disturbing fake laugh. He was utterly humourless and I always thought his aghast 'I can't believe they're going to do this to us' laugh made him come across as a sociopath.

I can't feign that kind of thing. I smile and recoil and say something like 'wow that's hilarious'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GreatAnswers

I aint gonna lie....i often fake laugh purely out of courtesy :(

Im ashamed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Best At Doing Wheelies

I shart then I fake laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

If someone makes a joke and nobody else laughs the tensions kills me and i have to laugh, even if its not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

What about people who laugh at their own jokes all the time no matter how crap they are, really grinds my gears!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

keith16 wrote: »
    oh yeah?

C'mere a minute!

Advertisement