Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpayment of PAYE due to change in marital status - help!

Options
  • 12-08-2013 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

After recently registering on the ROS PAYE Anytime site I noticed that my ex-wife is still listed as married to me on it. However, we divorced in 2004. When I then checked further I noticed that I was receiving the married couple tax credits and have been doing so for quite while (I know, I know, I should have been more careful and checked before this but I never did). Now, I do not know when this happened (the change to joint assessment) as when we got married we did not, as far as I can remember, contact Revenue and ask them to change how we were assessed (from single to married) as we both earned the same amount at the time and were happy for it to stay that way.

Also, after we divorced, if we were jointly assessed then my ex would have been losing out and I am not sure that she would have been too happy. She left the country then, I think, in 2008.

Anyway, I called Revenue and a nice lady said to send in the divorce cert and they would then figure it out. She also adjusted my credits for 2013 and said that I would definitely be facing an underpayment situation.

Now, I know that I now owe tax due to receiving too many credits but I wondered how I could ask for more details as I am unsure as to when we went to joint assessment. Would this information be provided to me when they come back to me?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

PJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Yes, you can definitely ask when you started being jointly assessed. It won't change the overall situation but you can at least start calculating what kind of figure you're looking at being landed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

If I were you, I would be inclined to get someone with a tax back ground to have a look at it for you. Do you know anyone who could do it for you? I would imagine that you have been jointly assessed for a long time tbh. Even if you were on a similar salary, you would have been receiving a married persons tax credit for each year of joint assessment. You can reduce any liability owing by including expenses you had in the years effected I.e. College fees, medical, non-routine dental, rent, etc. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 death n taxes

Thanks folks - much appreciated! I am still unsure as to how/when the joint assessment started. I wonder if when she left the country and stopped paying tax that they assumed she was no longer working and gave me all the credits (a vain hope - i know)!!!! Thanks again.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 Pass the Sauce love

Someone would have had to contact them in order for you to be registered as married with them. Do social welfare let them know? One of you could have ticked married in any claim for tax credits or a new employment form, but how they get the date of marriage, I dont know. Does the Hatch Match and Dispatch office let them know?

As for whether or not you requested to be joint assessed, as far as i can make out once your married , joint assesment would be applied unless seperate assesment/treatment was requested on a form. This is taken from their website.

In the absence of a nomination, the assessable spouse or nominated civil partner is the spouse or civil partner with the highest income in the latest year for which details of both spouses or civil partners income are known.
    A spouse or civil partner will continue to be the assessable spouse or nominated civil partner unless the couple jointly elect that the other spouse or civil partner is to be the assessable spouse or nominated civil partner or until either spouse or civil partner opts for separate assessment or assessment as a single person.

Going by the above, if your seeking to challenge the reason for being joint assessed and the subsequent underpayment, you might be wasting your time.

Advertisement