Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance

Options
  • 12-08-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello All,

Need some advice on where to get cheap car insurance. Am with 123.ie for few years and was very happy until i got the renewal notice to say its going to be €1200 this year?!

I am 30 years old and driving a 1.2 litre no points and was paying about a third of that for years so makes no sense.

any pointers are welcome!

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

Phone them and ask what the story is.

I had a similar problem and after phoning learned that "the computer" had incorrectly logged a claim against me. After that was sorted I was down to a more expected quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hello All,

Need some advice on where to get cheap car insurance. Am with 123.ie for few years and was very happy until i got the renewal notice to say its going to be €1200 this year?!

I am 30 years old and driving a 1.2 litre no points and was paying about a third of that for years so makes no sense.

thanks

The cost of car insurance is relevant to the person being insured. So what company could be cheap for me may not be cheap for you and vice versa. There is no short cut when it comes to pricing insurance I'm afraid, you will have to contact them all including brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pablo scholes

thank guys, seems bizarre, i did ring them and they stood by it.

will need to ring around let you all know how i get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

Hello All,

thanks

I got the same. Renewal doubled from last years. Just went onto their website, entered the same details, got it half the price of he renewal and the same as last year. Rang them to tell them to request NCB from their department.

Disc and policy sent out. I couldn't be arsed questioning my renewal as from past experience it's a waste of time. Best offers got online, always cheaper then renewals in my experience.

Full NCB and no points also.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I was getting mad prices, 1500+ from all the big insurance companies. I contacted a local insurance broker and I got insured for 700, this year it will be 500

They took into account that I had been driving a company car & sharing a car with my mother where as the big insurance companies just saw it as I hadnt been insured under my own name before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

thank guys, seems bizarre, i did ring them and they stood by it.

will need to ring around let you all know how i get on!

Try no nonsense.ie, my renewal quote from axa was €523.92 and today i got it from no nonsense.ie for €375.16 on a provisional irish, i called many brokers as well and this is the best quote i got, now this quote was only for third party only but try them, you might get a decent quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

zenno wrote: »
    Try no nonsense.ie, my renewal quote from axa was €523.92 and today i got it from no nonsense.ie for €375.16 on a provisional irish, i called many brokers as well and this is the best quote i got, now this quote was only for third party only but try them, you might get a decent quote.

My insurance broker sent me out a quote 300 euro more than last year. I also have no points and full no claims bonus. I got a quote from no nonsense for half the price.....

hi all,

so I am still on the hunt, got quote from chill for €540 and they rang me to say if I say I will buy that day I can get a discount of upto €100 so will ring them next week after pay day!

in meantime rang arann insurance as my girlfriend is insured there after advice last year. they quoted me for €370 and told me if thats beat let them know.

now that is incredible from over €1200 with 123.ie to that, I will let you all know if i find cheaper!

nononsense on their site just quoted me at €336 third party fire and theft, this is great craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

If you do decide to go with nononsense.ie insurance make sure you read the declaration of disclosure of information carefully before you sign it, because if a person has any criminal convictions or endorsements and they sign it and send it back, they will have problems

If a person is not sure about it, then call them and explain it to them, they are very helpful i have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

I found FBD to be the cheapest for third party only insurance ( that means no fire and theft ) been with them a few years .
    Not sure what they are like with the extra though .

keep us posted

derry

thanks derry, started of looking cheaper on original quote with FBD but then flew up to €470 when i put car details in, how a fiat punto does that i will never know!

going to see what price is with Chill with their buy that day discount then figure out the rest, will keep ya posted

hey all, so finally got it sorted or have agreed to.

rang back my friends in Araann, they gave me a price of €310 which is excellent includes motor rescue and step back bonus protection but no windscreen cover (that was extra €30) so overall I am happy out.

just need to get NCT sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Did you pay the extra €30 for the windscreen cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Can someone other than the registered owner of the car insure the car? Talking about a married couple where he has been the policy holder and she a named driver. We both bought the car a few years ago and paid half each. As he had the full licence it was put in his name. I now want to insure the car myself (holding a provisional) as the policy holder and have him as the named driver. Is that possible...?? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Can someone other than the registered owner of the car insure the car? Talking about a married couple where he has been the policy holder and she a named driver. We both bought the car a few years ago and paid half each. As he had the full licence it was put in his name. I now want to insure the car myself (holding a provisional) as the policy holder and have him as the named driver. Is that possible...?? Thanks.

Normally the person insuring the car has to have an insurable interest in it, ie registered owner and most insurance companies ask you if you are the registered owner. While both of you paid half for the car it is only registered in one of your names.

You could just transfer registration over from him to you so that you become the new registered owner but it will add an extra owner to the car if that bothers you. Try talking to a few insurance companies first though and get the general direction they take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Thanks Bazz26. I'll look into things with various insurance companies. Unfortunately the marriage has broken up and though he's happy for me to have the car, it's been difficult to communicate with him since.

Advertisement