Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keoghs: Nordie-ist??

Options
  • 12-08-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Went to the Blur concert there last week, had 6 cans of Bulmers prior. Didnt bother taking a drink at the gig due to the queue for the bar. Headed into town after and went to Keoghs. Got a drink and sat down just at the front door beside a couple and chatted them. I could see a barman look out from behind the bar at me a few times, thought nothing of it. My girlfriend then went up to the bar to get another drink and was told 'your OK love but we cant serve your man, he has had too much to drink'. We kinda went oooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk and headed for Whelans. Id understand if I was loaded but I wasnt, has anyone else experienced not being served whilst not drunk?????

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Went to the Blur concert there last week, had 6 cans of Bulmers prior. Didnt bother taking a drink at the gig due to the queue for the bar. Headed into town after and went to Keoghs. Got a drink and sat down just at the front door beside a couple and chatted them. I could see a barman look out from behind the bar at me a few times, thought nothing of it. My girlfriend then went up to the bar to get another drink and was told 'your OK love but we cant serve your man, he has had too much to drink'. We kinda went oooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk and headed for Whelans. Id understand if I was loaded but I wasnt, has anyone else experienced not being served whilst not drunk?????

Do you have a drunk face? I know a lad who never drinks but he looks drunk all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Yellow121 wrote: »
    Do you have a drunk face? I know a lad who never drinks but he looks drunk all the time.

Was he in a car crash by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Were the couple you were chatting to uncomfortable? Are you loud?

Are you really asking if you were refused a drink because you're from the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you really asking if you were refused a drink because you're from the North?
    He doesn't seem sure if it was because of that or that's he looked too drunk.
    Apparently Whelans let drunks in, even Nordie one's, good to know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Was he in a car crash by any chance?

Brace yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You were a mess, admit it, you have a problem!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Did you have a check shirt with short sleeves tucked into a pair of faded black Wranglers?

Because that would make you look like a drunk alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keoghs and Whelans

Well I'm sure we are all familiar with these drinking establishments and can talk from a position of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Must be www.keoghs.eu, didn't know Blur had played there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Yellow121 wrote: »

I think it's usually the eyes rather than the face overall. The eyes are usually the giveaway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Pug160 wrote: »
    I think it's usually the eyes rather than the face overall. The eyes are usually the giveaway.

The vomit all over the shirt and trousers is usually another giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

biko wrote: »
    Must be www.keoghs.eu, didn't know Blur had played there.

Someone obtained a free domain from boards here last month...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What is the story with people saying Nordie? I know its an attempt to differentiate people from other areas but I never meet anyone from Galway saying they are Westest or people referring to Wexford people as Southies. I'd be in favour of dropping it altogether. Tell us what county or town you are from, it's no bother. You can call it Ulster or Northern Ireland, the Six counties or the Province. It just annoys me because sometimes I hear it used derogatively also OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Augmerson wrote: »
    What is the story with people saying Nordie? I know its an attempt to differentiate people from other areas but I never meet anyone from Galway saying they are Westest or people referring to Wexford people as Southies. I'd be in favour of dropping it altogether. Tell us what county or town you are from, it's no bother. You can call it Ulster or Northern Ireland, the Six counties or the Province. It just annoys me because sometimes I hear it used derogatively also OP.
    It's an all encompassing term to include northern nordies and southern nordies, I think.

Regarding the OP, where did he mention you being from the good part of Ireland as a reason not to serve you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Was your girlfriend so rotten he thought you must be drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Was your girlfriend so rotten he thought you must be drunk?

Well done Sir. My first giggle of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nordies call southerners Mexicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Nordies call southerners Mexicans.

Wexford - Wexico?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I jumped the gun and thought this thread would be about delicious crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I ordered a pint of Harp in a Dublin pub (mild Nordie accent) a few years ago.
    "Jaysus......said my Dublin partner at the time "only knackers drink that down here"
    I sheepishly then ordered a "pint of bud, brudder"
    Nordie-phobia is strong in Dublin.
    Any chance we can get an E.U grant or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

"Jaysus......said my Dublin partner at the time "only knackers drink that down here

You forgot to order the packet of dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

spodoinkle wrote: »
    No, but I have been pretty far gone in Keogh's and been served. I've never been refused drink for having had too much, despite many barmen having grounds!

Was there anything else at all, apart from the possibility of your accent? I'm sure Keoghs gets its fair share of Northerners, being so central to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

mike65 wrote: »
    Keoghs and Whelans

Well I'm sure we are all familiar with these drinking establishments and can talk from a position of knowledge.

Why would anyone care if you personally aren't familiar with those pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Alias G wrote: »
    Why would anyone care if you personally aren't familiar with those pubs.

Cos this is not the Dublin forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

"Jaysus......said my Dublin partner at the time "only knackers drink that down here"

I'd be more worried about the taste than its reputation. Harp is middle-of-the-road but Budweiser just tastes like 100% chemical beer. I can't understand its popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Pug160 wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the taste than its reputation. Harp is middle-of-the-road but Budweiser just tastes like 100% chemical beer. I can't understand its popularity.
    I just wanted to be loved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Harp is the nicest Beer in Ireland if the Pint is poured properly, biggest seller here in Dundalk by a mile and I know its very popular down South in Parts of Cork and Kerry aswell.

On the Nordie thing, My ex was from the North. She always claimed that whenever we went out down South, be it Dundalk, Drogheda or Dublin that people treated her different. I dont know how true it is as I always told her she was overthinking things.

I do know that the clubs in Dundalk are not too fond of Northerners coming down and many often get turned away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

You can call it Ulster or Northern Ireland, the Six counties or the Province.
    Because after all, no-one considered any of those to be loaded terms, in respect of The National Question!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

We were passing through Chicago a few years ago and we asked for a couple of bottles of Coors in a bar.
    One of the guys sitting at the bar turned to us and asks "What you doin' drinkin' n1gger beer?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Cos this is not the Dublin forum.

That's obvious.

Place is rammed with silage abusers.

Advertisement