Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast growing hegde plants

Options
  • 12-08-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

would like to know any good fast growing hedge plants that can gow to at least 10 foot and possiby even those that are flowering plants and provide privacy from your neighbour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Depends on how dense you want it to be - but bear in mind that fast growing usually means lots of cutting to keep it in some sort of check. And if you want something 10ft tall it will usually grow to at least 5/6ft wide.
    Things like privet grow like a weed, have scented flowers, but are deciduous. Grisellinia are good and evergreen but can be a bit tender in inland areas.
    Viburnum tinus grows quickly, has flowers and berries and is usually trouble free.
    All of these will take at least 3-4 years to reach a good height - depending on the plants you buy.

Just a query - would a fence not be quicker and more effective?

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

would like to know any good fast growing hedge plants that can gow to at least 10 foot and possiby even those that are flowering plants and provide privacy from your neighbour.

A fast growing 10 foot tall hedge as a boundary will create issues for both you and your neighbour.

You will block out light to your neighbour and you will also have alot of work to do in order to maintain a hedge of that height.

A 10 foot tall hedge may also land you in a legal battle with your neighbour too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

ok maybe 10 foot is too high but maybe at least 6-8 foot high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Plenty of hedges out there that will give good cover such as cherry laurel, griselinia or red robin, all of which are evergreen. You will do well to get more than two foot of growth per year, which is about average. Maybe a mature hedge ( rootballed ) would suit you better if you want instant cover but the bigger the plant the more you'll pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There is no law to prevent you planting any hedge and there is no legal limit either. So ignore any suggestions which says otherwise, there is no basis in law for such claims.

A 10' high hedge is quite common and considering the boundary wall/fence limits of 2.0m suggests that it is not too high. Trees are common in gardens and few grow < 10' high.

Some neighbours like to be control freaks but you are well within your rights to do whatever you wish within your boundary. Obviously it would be useful to use some common sense and practical consideration when selecting various options. Few would support an out of control hedge and there have been some Irish cases where court orders and damages against unscrupulous owners.

Are you located in an urban or rural environment and how close is the adjoining property? 10' in a rural setting in which the properties are 30'+ apart would be insignificant.

There are many options as to which hedge but knowing more about the setting would be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hedge height causes long term feud between neignbours,and ends up in court.Case was thrown and both parties were told to cop on and get along with each other.

http://www.herald.ie/news/neighbours-in-squabble-over-hedge-ends-in-court-27964850.html

Dun Laoghaire District Court heard that Ms Kinsella and her husband, Kieran Kelly, and Mr Collins and his wife, Anne, had been fighting over the height of the hedge, which sits on the boundary of their front gardens, for nearly a decade.

The Collins want the hedge maintained at four feet, as any taller and it blocks the light in their sitting room.

Their neighbours want to protect their privacy, so they keep their side of the hedge -- which is about four-feet wide -- at eight feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Someone suggested Fire Bush to me as a good hedge, I was told it grows 6ft a year, I'm looking to grow the hedge to about 4 meters..any one know anything about the fire bush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Firebush.... Do you mean Hamelia patens? This is a florida native, a tropical plant, it will be stone dead at the first frost here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

Someone suggested Fire Bush to me as a good hedge, I was told it grows 6ft a year, I'm looking to grow the hedge to about 4 meters..any one know anything about the fire bush?

I think you might mean pyracantha. It grows quickly, but it has really vicious thorns, nasty to work on when you trim it.

Advertisement