Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on courses

Options
  • 12-08-2013 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm 25 and graduated as Electronic Engineer, for the past two years I have been doing web development. Mainly front end stuff but I'm in more of a managing role rather than real development. I would like to move to more development orientated work. I've some experience in Java, PHP and I'm pretty sure I could pick up other languages fairly handy. I'm very aware that my Java and PHP are weak enough. I have self thought myself most things but I feel I would benefit from something more formal.

I would like to take up some course(part-time as I can't afford to leave my 9-5) but I don't really know where to look or what I should be looking for. I'm based in Dublin so any advice or pointers would be very welcome. I'd be interested in anything from short courses to possibly masters courses in college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I am in almost the exact same boat as you and would be interested in any advice that people have to offer.

I studied Electronic Engineering and then went and got an IT job, which I've been doing for the past few years.

I've since realized that I should have gotten into development, and have studied Java on my own time, I read a few books, made some applications for my own use, managed to squeeze some Java into my current job and created a few programs to help us with day-to-day repetitive task, and even got in to fiddling with Android development. Recently I started re-writing some of my stuff in C# and found the transition fairly simple.

However, I don't know where to go from here if I want to get in to development as a career. I was looking at doing an Oracle Certification or two, but I'm not sure if they're worth much on their own. I've considered going back to college part time and getting a degree in computer science or similar, but I'm not sure if that's the best path either, and it would take quite a while.

Any advice would be thoroughly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A lot of places (as in, IoTs and Universities) do conversion courses in IT. Look for higher diplomas such as this one in ITB Blanchardstown: http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn509pt.html

It is intended for those without an IT/Computer Science qualification and is done part-time over two years.

I would imagine that other institutions do something similar, it's a matter of looking on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    A lot of places (as in, IoTs and Universities) do conversion courses in IT. Look for higher diplomas such as this one in ITB Blanchardstown: http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn509pt.html

It is intended for those without an IT/Computer Science qualification and is done part-time over two years.

I would imagine that other institutions do something similar, it's a matter of looking on their website.

NCI also do them.

Advertisement