Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor predicaments...

Options
  • 12-08-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys! I'm buying a new laptop for starting college with a budget of €500, preferably in a shop rather than over t'internet! Just wondering about the processor, the AMD A8-4500M processor in this one? I know the Intel i3 is a better "brand" (sorry, not up with techie jargon :P) but quad-core for a laptop at this price is good isn't it?

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/HP-Pavilion-G62398sa-156andrdquo-Laptop-Blue/315356/104.10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

therambler wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm buying a new laptop for starting college with a budget of €500, preferably in a shop rather than over t'internet! Just wondering about the processor, the AMD A8-4500M processor in this one? I know the Intel i3 is a better "brand" (sorry, not up with techie jargon :P) but quad-core for a laptop at this price is good isn't it?

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/HP-Pavilion-G62398sa-156andrdquo-Laptop-Blue/315356/104.10

With abudget of €500 you shouldn't settle for anything less than an Intel Core i5. The AMD A-8 is inferior to a Core i3 in terms of processing power (although the on-chip graphics is better than Intel's HD 4000, it isn't suitable for gaming either). No way is this laptop worth 500 yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A8-4500 is more of a generic use, iwannaplaygamesonabudget type of processor. It will run things like Skyrim and all reasonably well but in the european market I am told the chip isn't as cost effective as it is in the US, thus theres less of a point in buying one. The chip itself is marketed as a competitor to earlier i5s, but later 3rd gen and new 4th gen Intels are makng that a less appealing position. A10 chips are probably a somewhat better comparison; I haven't seen the A12 yet.

Advertisement