Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carnyx or Dord

Options
  • 12-08-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there, was wondering if any of you could help me. I'd love to see an example of an Irish Dord, or Celtic Carnyx. When I contacted the National Museum of Archaeology, they directed me to their very fine collection of bronze age horns, but this wasn't what I was looking for. Does anyone know of such an instrument in Ireland or Uk?
    Thanks,
    Ali.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kicking Bird

Hi Ali Isaac,

If you were looking to see an Irish Dord,I think the NMI were right to show you the Bronze Age horns.I believe when played it sounded somewhat like a didgeridoo('dord' as gaeilge,is a hum or drone sound).

I had to google what a carnyx was to be honest and see what you mean;it's somewhat different in appearance alright.The bell of the horn always had a zoomorphic-shaped attachment,often a boar or serpents head.I'm not aware if any such instrument has ever been found in Ireland.

Very few have been found by all accounts,but there is one(or part of one) along with a reconstruction now on display in the Museum of Scotland.It's called the Deskford Carnyx and I've attached an image below(courtesy of Wiki):

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

This site might be worth a look.
    http://www.ancientmusicireland.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Ali Isaac wrote: »
    Hi there, was wondering if any of you could help me. I'd love to see an example of an Irish Dord, or Celtic Carnyx. When I contacted the National Museum of Archaeology, they directed me to their very fine collection of bronze age horns, but this wasn't what I was looking for. Does anyone know of such an instrument in Ireland or Uk?
    Thanks,
    Ali.

If your interested in Iron Age instruments I think the Ard Brinn trumpa and the Loughnashade Trumpet are the only examples in Ireland but I could be wrong.

Advertisement