Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Number on Receipts

Options
  • 12-08-2013 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

When I make a purchase with my CC, usually only the last four digits are visible on the receipt. Recently found a receipt in my bag which also shows the first six digits then ****** and then the last two digits. Is this usual in some shops? I don't think I've seen it before and I am none too happy about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Shops don't control it, it would be their machine provider. A credit card has 16 digits, laser cards up to 19. If 8 digits are revealed there are still millions of combinations with the other 8, nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Afaik the first 4-6 numbers are identification numbers, which only tell the type of card and bank and all cards from the same bank will have the same first numbers.

*edit* Link

This. For example, if you have an aib visa, it will start with 408531. Nothing to worry about really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks everyone, my mind's been put at rest now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    When I make a purchase with my CC, usually only the last four digits are visible on the receipt. Recently found a receipt in my bag which also shows the first six digits then ****** and then the last two digits. Is this usual in some shops? I don't think I've seen it before and I am none too happy about it.

Some Acquirers/Processors are starting a move towards only having the last 4 digits of your card number of the receipt, fewer numbers is better/safer for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Some Acquirers/Processors are starting a move towards only having the last 4 digits of your card number of the receipt, fewer numbers is better/safer for you.

That's not new at all, only the last four digits appear on receipts I get from petrol stations and that's been case for a long time.

I think the logic is that you only need the minimum amount of data so that for example in a household with multiple credit cards, you can figure which card was used for a specific transaction and for that you just need the receipt to contain the last few digits.

With Chip and Pin, a retailer needs you to produce the card and enter your pin and a mail order supplier needs the whole number, the expiration date and the CVV security number so even if the whole number is exposed for whatever reason, you are still relatively secure. There was a time a long time ago when even electronic receipts printed the whole number but that stopped a long time ago.

Advertisement