Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Alternative

Options
  • 11-08-2013 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm just wondering what would a system similar to this cost

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-a660-149/

Its my current laptop and was wondering is there anything similar to it on the market and what kind of ball park its cost would be in?

My current system is starting to falter, but its perfect for what I use it for, but its clocked a hell of a lot of miles on it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

A Core i5 with a GT 630M costs around €600.

But the unlike your first generation Core i5, the current generation has on-chip Intel HD 4000 graphics. While not exactly on par with the GT 630M (which is by no means a gaming GPU), it's sufficient for most applications, even many games can be played (at moderate settings). Core i5 laptops without a dedicated graphics card are available for less than 500 yoyos.

On the other hand, depending on the general condition of your laptop (and the battery), a fresh installation often works miracles and you may get another year or two out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

aftermarket upgrades, top 3

1. Solid State Drive - Expensive option, ~150-250
    2. Memory Increase (in event of memory constraint) Semi-expensive option ~50-125
    3. Refresh Windows - Free

Not much else you can do to improve a laptop, but you'd be impressed at the difference these 3 things can do for a computer.

Advertisement