Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeats and changing course

Options
  • 11-08-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm doing repeats the end of august. If I don't pass them I was thinking of changing course. Will I have to take a year out in order to do so? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Hi.

I'm doing repeats the end of august. If I don't pass them I was thinking of changing course. Will I have to take a year out in order to do so? :confused:

What are your reasons for wanting to change course? If you are considering changing due to fear of failing the repeats I wouldnt do it on that basis. Are you happy in the course otherwise?

What year in college are you currently in? I'm asking this as you have to take into consideration that if you change course you may be liable to pay tuition fees on top of the student contribution/registration fees.

Lets say your in the same boat as me and you're in second year and decide to change to another course, some universities fees are around €5,000 and registration/contribution is €2,500 so that's around €15,000 for twos year of a new college course and if you were recieving a grant you will loose the grant for the years you have already claimed it.

The reason you may end up paying tuition fees is the government have already paid your tuition so you have to pay the tuition yourself as you've already used up these resources.

Sorry for the long post! In reply to your other question you may need to take a year out. If you are under 23 it's too late to apply for CAO and will have to wait till the following year. I'm not sure how the mature entry works! Contact your college and ask for for the admissions office an explain you are doing repeats and that you are considering changing course!

Mugatuu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

No not happy in the course.

I'm in first year and yes I am aware how much it is going to cost :(

I've applied to the CAO but I'm just wondering if I accept the course I get offered, will I be able to do the repeats? My results wouldn't be out till the 9th august either :(

Advertisement