Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanderers F.C.

Options
  • 11-08-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭

Had a day out at the Dublin Horse Show on Saturday. Parked the car in the grounds of the Wanderers F.C.
    Only a tenner and right next to the RDS.
    Nice little earner for the club and fierce handy for myself.
    Just checked on the clubs website. Some history.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Massive history but have completely changed in people's perceptions over the last 20 years. They were extremely wealthy (and I would think still have quite the financial backing) and seen as quite arrogant from the outset of the AIL but the Lansdowne Road development debacle pretty much put the nail in their coffin in terms of them ruining their public image.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Yeah wenty from lofty heights of senior rugby right down to junior division 1a. Threw plenty of money at getting promoted last year which didn't work out for them but having had the experience of what to expect from junior rugby they have thrown plenty more cash at it this year and would be favourites to get promoted but their opening game agains Tullow will see where they are at!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

The club has changed massively over the years. There are really great guys involved in the junior rugby down at merrion road now. They had good successes at J1 and j4 level last year. The players are playing with their mates and playing for their love of rugby. The players have no connection with what happened with Lansdowne Road. I haven't been involved with the senior team to know exactly whats going on but maybe dropping from the AIL will be a positive in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

CGD wrote: »
    Threw plenty of money at getting promoted last year which didn't work out for them but having had the experience of what to expect from junior rugby they have thrown plenty more cash at it this year. at!

From my understanding this wasn't the case.

chippers wrote: »
    From my understanding this wasn't the case.

My understanding is that your understanding is wrong. Talk to the players they were quick to tell everyone what a greaat deal they were on. They wouldn't be alone in junior rugby in the Leinster league. Some crazy things going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CGD wrote: »
    My understanding is that your understanding is wrong. Talk to the players they were quick to tell everyone what a greaat deal they were on. They wouldn't be alone in junior rugby in the Leinster league. Some crazy things going on!

Not even just in 1A from what I heard the last time I was home!

Not even just in 1A from what I heard the last time I was home!

Yeah we were 1b and looking for new players but lads mentioning crazy things which friends were getting on other teams. Brother involved in senior rugby in a so called big club in Dublin said some senior clubs couldn't compete with what is being thrown around. In fairness to Wanderers they would have a good revenue source and get plenty of additional income from non rugby events such as RDS parking etc and would have good guys controlling spending but some of the other clubs have no chance of sustaining the money they spend. It will all end it tears for some club sooner or later. Trustees at the end of the day will be the ones liable - Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah I think I know the clubs you're talking about. Not much can be done about that really I suppose. I have played for clubs that went Junior to Senior and it's not all it's cracked up to be anyway, my best memories were 1a.

Yeah I think I know the clubs you're talking about. Not much can be done about that really I suppose. I have played for clubs that went Junior to Senior and it's not all it's cracked up to be anyway, my best memories were 1a.

the recession and cop on should see a slow death to this practice but always great to play with lads you grew up with and went to school with probably easier for me as I was a poor player and wasn't in demand like some of the better players around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Wanderers were a club with huge committee and member involvement by senior people in the banks and many other big employers back in the day. They were able to swing great well paid jobs for recruits who could build solid careers in those places. This enabled them to scoop many of the best players back then. Once the new rugby structures started and after the Lansdowne Road redevelopment, this advantage evaporated and they weren't able to respond. I used to be a member way back and my old man was an alicadoo there ... it was magic place with wonderful traditions and characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Pulled some nasty shenanigans in 98 watering a pitch to have a game cancelled against Buccs.
    Buccs had to win to be promoted but someone else if they won would have been promoted. Wanderers needed the win to avoid relegation. Game played later was a dead rubber. Karma eh.

shaungil wrote: »
    Pulled some nasty shenanigans in 98 watering a pitch to have a game cancelled against Buccs.
    Buccs had to win to be promoted but someone else if they won would have been promoted. Wanderers needed the win to avoid relegation. Game played later was a dead rubber. Karma eh.
    It never happened. The game was called off because Buccs has a major virus outbreak and got permission from the IRFU to cancel the match. No Karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

What's this Lansdowne Rd stuff you're talking about?

ColmH81 wrote: »
    What's this Lansdowne Rd stuff you're talking about?

Wanderers took a legal case to prevent the redevelopment of the stadium as their clubhouse was on the premises. They essentially tried to hold the union to ransom to get a huge deal for themselves in terms of tickets in the new stadium.

The whole thing basically ensured they were vilified throughout Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Buer wrote: »
    Wanderers took a legal case to prevent the redevelopment of the stadium as their clubhouse was on the premises. They essentially tried to hold the union to ransom to get a huge deal for themselves in terms of tickets in the new stadium.

Ah right... Nasty greedy business...

I disclose that I have had connections with the club for many years, though not for a long time now.

However this accusation is a load of utter BS. Wanderers had occupied the stadium, shared with Lansdowne, for a century !!! And you say they were wrong to fight to stay there or get substantial compensation ??? Are you taking the pi$$ ???

And your claim about vilification is also a pack of crap. The IRFU establishment farts were irritated that Wanderers wanted to stand up to their bullying attitude, and that's as far as it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Piliger wrote: »
    I disclose that I have had connections with the club for many years, though not for a long time now.

However this accusation is a load of utter BS. Wanderers had occupied the stadium, shared with Lansdowne, for a century !!! And you say they were wrong to fight to stay there or get substantial compensation ??? Are you taking the pi$$ ???

And your claim about vilification is also a pack of crap. The IRFU establishment farts were irritated that Wanderers wanted to stand up to their bullying attitude, and that's as far as it went.

Easy there. The poster never said they were wrong to do what they did, also vilification means exactly what you just said.. So reign it in a tad please.

Sorry, Piliger, what you posted was your opinion. Mine was an opinion also based on the situation at the time. There are comments on rugby fora from then that clearly shows the disdain that they were held in by many rugby people around the country.

I'm not here to debate the length of time they were tenants in the ground. I don't have a strong viewpoint on the situation, personally. I don't know where you think I said they were wrong to seek compensation so no, I am not taking the p*ss given I never said such a thing.

But it's completely incorrect to even try and argue that the vilification was a pile of crap. It was a PR disaster for Wanderers at the time. They sought an injunction to prevent the commencement of the redevelopment They also were ready to go to court with their initial demand of an allocation of 1,000 tickets which would have over doubled their previous allocation.

There's nothing I posted that's BS; it's all available in black and white in fora and media articles from the time online. It was all reported with a prevailing stance against Wanderers.

Sorry, Piliger, what you posted was your opinion. Mine was an opinion also based on the situation at the time. There are comments on rugby fora from then that clearly shows the disdain that they were held in by many rugby people around the country.

I'm not here to debate the length of time they were tenants in the ground. I don't have a strong viewpoint on the situation, personally. I don't know where you think I said they were wrong to seek compensation so no, I am not taking the p*ss given I never said such a thing.

But it's completely incorrect to even try and argue that the vilification was a pile of crap. It was a PR disaster for Wanderers at the time. They sought an injunction to prevent the commencement of the redevelopment They also were ready to go to court with their initial demand of an allocation of 1,000 tickets which would have over doubled their previous allocation.

There's nothing I posted that's BS; it's all available in black and white in fora and media articles from the time online. It was all reported with a prevailing stance against Wanderers.

Well since I am unable to make a full reply under advisement from the mod above, I will simply say that your claims are factually wrong. End of.

Well since I am unable to make a full reply under advisement from the mod above, I will simply say that your claims are factually wrong. End of.

Hold on, we're allowed discuss the topic fully just with civility. You've accused me of talking BS and claimed what I believed to be the case to be factually incorrect.

Can you please point out what's incorrect? I can provide links to the topic from LF, MF and UAFC fora which clearly shows what the public thought of Wanderers role in the piece.

And here are a couple of media articles that discussed the situation at the time:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/priceless-tickets-focus-minds-as-shekels-get-sling-shot-response-26408635.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2007/0406/sport/rugby-club-threatens-court-action-in-lansdowne-row-29769.html

Now, I don't know what's factually incorrect there. Did Wanderers take legal action to halt the redevelopment? Yes, by their own admission. Was one of their main requests to take a larger portion of tickets for the new ground? I believe so as it was widely reported in the media at the time in multiple articles and newspapers.

I haven't a huge insight into the situation aside from the information that was freely available but if you can show me where there was no legal action and that Wanderers were thought well of by others throughout the country, please do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I didn't say you couldn't discuss the matter, just be civil towards your fellow posters please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

With all the who hah I Wish I'd parked the car somewhere else.

Advertisement