Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used DigitalRev?

Options
  • 10-08-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

So I attempted to buy a panasonic lumix dmc-lx7 from digitalrev after a lot of research into what I wanted. It just so happened that I saw the uk version of the site before the Irish one - it was £299 as opposed to 437 euro. When I asked, they said it was because of the currency exchange between singapore dollars and euro as that's how they convert (just in case anyone was curious).

I ordered using my mother's card (as it was a gift) and my parcelmotel address in the UK. The order was cancelled. I got in touch and apparently it was because:
    1) Billing and Shipping name were different
    2) They didn't want to send it out to the address as they thought it was a post office box.

I asked if it would be different if I used a card with my name on it and my name on the shipping address. That wouldn't change anything.

I told them that it was a delivery company they were shipping to who would sign for me and then hand me the package as I was out at work all day and no one was home to sign for the package. They would not accept this. For some reason, they were totally happen sending it to my home address and having any randomer sign for it, but sending it to parcelmotel where the same thing would happen was totally out of the question.

The only solution they could come up with was me sending them a bank transfer, THEN they would place my order for me and send it to parcelmotel. Has anyone done this with them? I have a few reservations with sending someone money before an order is even placed, not to mention the fact that it just seems odd. I've never heard of anyone else doing that before. If anyone else has heard about it or done it and had an experience, either good or bad, I'd really love to know about it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Paying by credit card the seller has to pay a percentage is the money they receive, whereas with bank transfer they don't.
    Though with over seas buying I wouldn't go the bank transfer route instead of the protection that comes with credit cards
    Queevs wrote: »
    Hi,

So I attempted to buy a panasonic lumix dmc-lx7 from digitalrev after a lot of research into what I wanted. It just so happened that I saw the uk version of the site before the Irish one - it was £299 as opposed to 437 euro. When I asked, they said it was because of the currency exchange between singapore dollars and euro as that's how they convert (just in case anyone was curious).

I ordered using my mother's card (as it was a gift) and my parcelmotel address in the UK. The order was cancelled. I got in touch and apparently it was because:
    1) Billing and Shipping name were different
    2) They didn't want to send it out to the address as they thought it was a post office box.

I asked if it would be different if I used a card with my name on it and my name on the shipping address. That wouldn't change anything.

I told them that it was a delivery company they were shipping to who would sign for me and then hand me the package as I was out at work all day and no one was home to sign for the package. They would not accept this. For some reason, they were totally happen sending it to my home address and having any randomer sign for it, but sending it to parcelmotel where the same thing would happen was totally out of the question.

The only solution they could come up with was me sending them a bank transfer, THEN they would place my order for me and send it to parcelmotel. Has anyone done this with them? I have a few reservations with sending someone money before an order is even placed, not to mention the fact that it just seems odd. I've never heard of anyone else doing that before. If anyone else has heard about it or done it and had an experience, either good or bad, I'd really love to know about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

ps. with digital rev you have to pay import tax/vat (usually works out about 25% of the total cost - including shipping)

they are a reliable company - know a few people who have dealt with them before..... much safer than simplyelectronics (plenty of people here use simplyelectronics ...and they are cheaper.... but their delivery times and customer service is non satisfactory)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Queevs

Samhail, I'm aware of the credit card percentage and with the protection that they receive. I'd be willing to do the transfer, if I'd heard of others doing it and having a success maybe. If I was able to place the order and then send over the bank transfer, maybe. But they want they money before the order is placed?

Corkbah, are you saying that with their price of £299 will go up when I get to the checkout due to import tax and VAT to the UK? I'd love to be using them for this but with the way things are shaping up, it's just not looking like they actually want my money at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Queevs wrote: »
    Samhail, I'm aware of the credit card percentage and with the protection that they receive. I'd be willing to do the transfer, if I'd heard of others doing it and having a success maybe. If I was able to place the order and then send over the bank transfer, maybe. But they want they money before the order is placed?

Corkbah, are you saying that with their price of £299 will go up when I get to the checkout due to import tax and VAT to the UK? I'd love to be using them for this but with the way things are shaping up, it's just not looking like they actually want my money at the moment :(

no matter which site you use UK or IE ... you will have to pay import tax/VAT on it entering the country - as it comes from outside the EU.

you normally get charged this BEFORE customs release the package (they hold it and send you a bill - you either pay or dont get your package)

Advertisement