Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pink Floyd are ****ing over-rated

• 10-08-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

They just are!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

1372347845494.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

Ha ha!!!
    I love it. Good reply man!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Excellent dude. I haven't listened to them in years but they are not overrated. Try listening to Hey you really stoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

They just are!!!

Could you elaborate just a little bit more as to why you think so ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

They just are!!!

Aww hell naw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They just are!!!

Absolutely, but damn...'Dark Side of the Moon' is a brilliant album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

WOW!!!

Would you believe I am actually listening to that line right at the moment your post came in...

Spooky :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Tony EH wrote: »
    WOW!!!

Would you believe I am actually listening to that line right at the moment your post came in...

Spooky :eek:

Sure that's TIME for ye !!

See the problem with Pink Floyd is...you really have to be stoned to listen to them....otherwise they're just boring!!!
    At least you can rock out a bit to The Who sober!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Kaiserspike

Listening to some of the early stuff (read Syd Barrett era) makes you stoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Floyd are over rated in the same way the Beatles are, that is to say they are so ubiquitous
    that people just take them for granted and often don't really listen to them - rather they just hear the band. In one ear and out the other. When you turn the lights off and just concentrate the quality is there to be heard.

See the problem with Pink Floyd is...you really have to be stoned to listen to them

That says more about you, than it does about the band. :D

Now... give us a valid reason as to why you think they are over rated. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

They just are!!!
    regress wrote: »
    Try listening to Hey you really stoned.
    See the problem with Pink Floyd is...you really have to be stoned to listen to them....otherwise they're just boring!!!

Jesus. Youtube comments are slowly spilling over into boards.

What a stupid thread. You like the Who, and don't like Pink Floyd. Where's the discussion point??? I've never listened to a single Pink Floyd song while stoned, and I still think they're amazing. As Rigby said there, it says more about you than it does about them if you need to be stoned to listen to them. Seek help.

In fairness.
    It was either this, or "I hate Oprah Winfrey".

In fairness.
    It was either this, or "I hate Oprah Winfrey".

Still waiting for a valid reason...... ;)

After all, you started the thread, so it is only fair that you back up your statement.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Absolute pioneers.

One of the seminal bands who ever existed.

Even jonny rotten came out years after and admitted he was actually a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I can see where you're coming from. I like them and respect them as musicians but I definitely find their music to be a little self indulgent.

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I love their big hits (Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here, Another Brick In The Wall, Money) and they certainly have more than their fair share of rock classics; but never really got into their albums. Just find them a bit boring; not enough melody or head-banging power, and quite repetitive for a band that have a reputation for complex music. Although I love the idea of a concept album, long songs, etc; I always thought Pink Floyd were often lacking when it came to the fundamentals of rock; great melodies, memorable guitar riffs, etc, for example Us And Them. Compare with Led Zeppelin'e epics; Stairway to Heaven, Achilles Last Stand, Kashmir; which are a lot better.

That said, Gilmour is an amazing guitar player, the Comfortably Numb and Time solos are amazing.

I also dislike the term over-rated, if a band are that popular there is obviously a reason for it. Just because they aren't to my personal taste, doesn't mean I can call them over-rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It is not possible to dislike the album Animals. It's amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

funk-you wrote: »
    but I definitely find their music to be a little self indulgent.

-Funk

Lots of 'artists' from that time liked to self indulge.

funk-you wrote: »
    I can see where you're coming from. I like them and respect them as musicians but I definitely find their music to be a little self indulgent.

-Funk

while there a grain of truth to the "self indulgent" argument (see ummagumma) ............. in reality, compared to the other stalwards of 70's prog eg YES, ELP, Rush, King Crimson etc they are totally reserved and paired down. Pink Floyd are probably the least 'prog' of that genre, but possibly the most 'progressive' in how they stretched the barriers of both album recording and live shows.

Their music is built on a basis of simplicity first, and not the complexities of say, ELP. Nick mason was always derided by drummers as being too simple, but exhaulted by other musicians as knowing "what notes not to play". Gilmour has referred to previously that the floyd saw the merit in the space between the notes, as much as the notes themselves.

Lyrically, i suppose waters vents quite a lot, but to consider that 'self indulgent' is a bit erroneous as all great lyricists draw from personal experiences.

and in rick wright, they just had the most unassuming but sensuous keyboard player of his generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

They just are!!!
    I disagree!!!!

Pink Floyd is awesome!!!!

I have 3 or 4 of thier records!

I think my favourite is WISH YOU WERE HERE or DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (Although THE WALL is outstanding (I have had that album many years))

Rigsby.
    No other band in the world gets the press they have gotton.
    Are they re-grouping, are they not??!!
    And this Wall ****e??!!
    Any artist can make their music fantastic if they spend millions on a big special effects live show. Madonna made a carrer out of it, despite the fact she cant sing a note.
    Im not saying they werent good. They were. But they are blown out of all proportion when you compare the hype that the Kinks or even the Eagles get.
    I agree with someone else wrote that they are self indulgent, but i dont mind that so much, so was John Lennon's solo work.
    Its just they way people talk like they were Gods.
    And I think thats a lot got to do with the what people were puffing when listening to them in they're youth.
    Hey I taught Lonnie Donnigan was god when I was dating ALICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tully1986

The Who have baba o'riley, pinball wizard & my generation and thats about it

Disagree with the comment about having to be stoned. Haven't smoked in years and this is still pure gold.

Wish you were here is an amazing music album. Dark side of the moon & the Wall can be a bit gimmicky at times with the sound affects.

What makes Pink Floyd for me is your able to drift in and out of their albums and they hit you with a savage rif or break out of nowhere

Rigsby.
    And this Wall ****e??!!
    Any artist can make their music fantastic if they spend millions on a big special effects live show. Madonna made a carrer out of it, despite the fact she cant sing a note.
    Im not saying they werent good. They were. But they are blown out of all proportion when you compare the hype that the Kinks or even the Eagles get.
    I agree with someone else wrote that they are self indulgent, but i dont mind that so much, so was John Lennon's solo work.
    And I think thats a lot got to do with the what people were puffing when listening to them in they're youth.

Fair play to you for finally coming up with a reason for your opinion. ;)

No need to convince me either way, as I can take or leave them. My only comment is that you seem to be blaming them for being over rated. If they are, it is because of their fans. What you say, says more about the fans, than it does about the band itself.

So, don't shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rigsby.
    And this Wall ****e??!!

We all have our opinions and some are worth debating and others not. After reading or should I say, trying to read your posts, your opinion falls into the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tully1986 wrote: »
    The Who have baba o'riley, pinball wizard & my generation and thats about it

Disagree with the comment about having to be stoned. Haven't smoked in years and this is still pure gold.

Wish you were here is an amazing music album. Dark side of the moon & the Wall can be a bit gimmicky at times with the sound affects.

What makes Pink Floyd for me is your able to drift in and out of their albums and they hit you with a savage rif or break out of nowhere

:eek: you need to start listening to The Who!

Rigsby.

??? you need to do your homework, two founding members are dead.
    There was a very acrimonious split in the early 80's between the two main men.... who went on to have quite successful solo careers themselves.

re-grouping? not a chance in hell, your listening to too much bar talk.
    And this Wall ****e??!!

spectacular live shows = great music :confused::confused::confused:
    ever think that maybe the reason they can afford such spectacular live shows is because their music is so popular ??
    But they are blown out of all proportion when you compare the hype that the Kinks or even the Eagles get.
    apples oranges and bananas

I wouldnt exactly call the kinks or the eagles as groudn breaking or progressive. DSOTM album has appeared on the billboard top 200 albums for a record 741 consecutive weeks, and 842 non consecutively... if its 'over rated' then theres a vast majority out there that over rates it :P

Like any band, PF have their fanatics who treat them as god-like... they look for messages in all their works (remember the whole 'publis enigma' saga of the division bell album??)
    But in the main, most rock fans can appreciate PF for what they gave to rock music... their influence cannot be denied with modern bands such as radiohead, flaming lips, porcupine tree, mars volta, pineapple thief and tool all publicly noting them as influences.

and as for having to be stoned to listen to them, what age are ya :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement