Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TdM2014

Options
  • 10-08-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Ok,

someone at my work is currently on the TdM2013 and the buzz around the place now and the excitement about the training spins has rubbed off on me ...

My ponderings:

I started cycling 2 years (used to cycle to school as a kid 20km a day but thats also just as many years ago) ago but missed an entire year through illness, i started again 3 months ago and signed up for Rebel Tour(did this last year and it highlighted a health issue) - need to beat it!

On my training spins (all solo) i struggle to avg more than 22km, i try to pick routes that where the elevation relates to total distance (30km ride - 300m, 40km ride 400m, ...)

Today i did a route of 50km with a hill/climb at 43km (3.2km gaining 150m), problem was by the time i got to the hill, i was feeling a bit tired but ok, 1km in my legs imploded and i couldnt turn the gears (and could unclip so hit the deck, but thats beside the point), i was empty and had to do the walk of shame(even though i tried at 3 occasions to get on i'd only manage 100-150m each time)

Today really knocked my confidence tbh, i though i was doing okbefore today but now ive doubts over the rebel tour never mind dreaming of the TdM next year....

So the question is am i fooling my self thinking i can go from where i find myself today to riding 600km across munster including the vee, connor pass, molls gap, ... In 12months?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

There are people doing the TDM every year that began cycling in Feb/March of that year.

As long as you can cycle in a group safely you will be fine. Pace is that ppf the slowest in each of the groups.

22km solo spins translates intoo much faster when in a group of 12-16.

Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Please clarify, what is this TdM?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Tour de Munster - 600km over 4days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Just to give you a bit of a lift a few guys on here know me from sportivs and the madness that was the evil 200. I started cycling on the 16th of feb this year, on the 16 of Jan this year i weighed over 22 stone today my weight 15 stone 7 lbs bike wise you just have to keep getting out on it and my experience has been more about time than distance. As you get stronger you will do more in the same length of time. Another thing that i found very helpful was to have a set training circuit that you do regularly so that you can see your improvement over time. I have done multiple 200 km+ runs at this stage I did 190 km of the evil 200 on a Saturday and then did the powder puff Wicklow 200 the next day. So to sum up get out as often as you can go as far as you can without hitting the wall and the only way to get good at hills is keep going up hills oh and buy a new bike and HTFU

Just to give you a bit of a lift a few guys on here know me from sportivs and the madness that was the evil 200. I started cycling on the 16th of feb this year, on the 16 of Jan this year i weighed over 22 stone today my weight 15 stone 7 lbs bike wise you just have to keep getting out on it and my experience has been more about time than distance. As you get stronger you will do more in the same length of time. Another thing that i found very helpful was to have a set training circuit that you do regularly so that you can see your improvement over time. I have done multiple 200 km+ runs at this stage I did 190 km of the evil 200 on a Saturday and then did the powder puff Wicklow 200 the next day. So to sum up get out as often as you can go as far as you can without hitting the wall and the only way to get good at hills is keep going up hills oh and buy a new bike and HTFU

Wow, you're a busy lad! Weight-loss is my main reason for cycling, but I want to take some event along the way..

planning to get a TurboTrainer to keep training up in the dark winter nights (might just get a second bike for the Trainer rather than a second wheel ;) - only one person in my hosusehold to convince it is a good idea :))

• Advertisement

Have you joined a club

Have you joined a club

No havent ...

it is good to be in a club lot easier to do longer distances in groups and it is good to learn how to behave in a group. This will give you an idea of my training route and my improvements over time on the same route
    23/03/2013 51.49 km time 2 h 15 min 27 sec average speed 22.8 kph
    19/04/2013 " " 1 h 44 min 51 sec average speed 29.7 kph
    18/06/2013 " " 1h 35 min 43 sec average speed 32.15 kph
    20/06/2013 " " 1h 28 min 05 sec average speed 34.91 kph

it is good to be in a club lot easier to do longer distances in groups and it is good to learn how to behave in a group. This will give you an idea of my training route and my improvements over time on the same route
    23/03/2013 51.49 km time 2 h 15 min 27 sec average speed 22.8 kph
    19/04/2013 " " 1 h 44 min 51 sec average speed 29.7 kph
    18/06/2013 " " 1h 35 min 43 sec average speed 32.15 kph
    20/06/2013 " " 1h 28 min 05 sec average speed 34.91 kph
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

....Another thing that i found very helpful was to have a set training circuit that you do regularly so that you can see your improvement over time.

This. I have a quick 18km route I do when i don't have a lot of time (most evenings) Its level for the first 12km and then the last 6km is hilly (total 150m ascent) I use this route as a sort of time trial route. Its short enough that i can go all out the whole way and not have to worry about tiring myself out during it. When i started cycling in June last year (2012) it used to take me 52minutes and that dropped to 46minutes after 3 or 4 months. I can now complete it in 35 minutes at an average speed of 29kmph. I'm aiming to beat 30 minutes before winter sets in but it may not be possible. There is a 1.5km climb with a real stinker of a sharp hill around the 15km mark. My legs are generally on fire by that point but the recovery only takes 30 senconds or so afterwards and i can hamnmer it home for the last km or so. Last year I had to get off an walk the last little hill but i can make it now and stll have 3 easier gears as a backup in case the cog i'm in gets too hard. Its all about getting the miles in the legs and more importantly, hills hills and more hills to build strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

ROK ON wrote: »
    There are people doing the TDM every year that began cycling in Feb/March of that year.

As long as you can cycle in a group safely you will be fine. Pace is that ppf the slowest in each of the groups.

22km solo spins translates intoo much faster when in a group of 12-16.

Do it.

How's the form rock on? Remember meeting you in Glengarriff on the 2011 tour. Was a bit the worse for ware the same morning after a lash of pints in Kenmare. Took a break last year but back again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Ok,

someone at my work is currently on the TdM2013 and the buzz around the place now and the excitement about the training spins has rubbed off on me ...

My ponderings:

I started cycling 2 years (used to cycle to school as a kid 20km a day but thats also just as many years ago) ago but missed an entire year through illness, i started again 3 months ago and signed up for Rebel Tour(did this last year and it highlighted a health issue) - need to beat it!

On my training spins (all solo) i struggle to avg more than 22km, i try to pick routes that where the elevation relates to total distance (30km ride - 300m, 40km ride 400m, ...)

Today i did a route of 50km with a hill/climb at 43km (3.2km gaining 150m), problem was by the time i got to the hill, i was feeling a bit tired but ok, 1km in my legs imploded and i couldnt turn the gears (and could unclip so hit the deck, but thats beside the point), i was empty and had to do the walk of shame(even though i tried at 3 occasions to get on i'd only manage 100-150m each time)

Today really knocked my confidence tbh, i though i was doing okbefore today but now ive doubts over the rebel tour never mind dreaming of the TdM next year....

So the question is am i fooling my self thinking i can go from where i find myself today to riding 600km across munster including the vee, connor pass, molls gap, ... In 12months?

Go for it man! As has been said above people have started cycling in April and completed the tour in August. Just back from my second one and am still buzzing from it. This is much more than 4 days of cycling to raise a few pounds for charity. The tour has many positive things going on that make it a unique event. Check out the photos here for a flavour https://www.facebook.com/tourdemunster

1097086_584795964921118_1672828645_o.jpg

But there is also a bit of suffering involved! Here's yours truly grinding out Patricks hill.

For those of you enjoying my suffering in the above image any donations would be most welcome http://www.mycharity.ie/event/eoin_duggans_event

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

Yes, you can do it. Its not a race but a controlled event where the emphasis is on everyone finishing.

This event is unique in that there is training from Apl every year to prepare people for the event. If you are based in Cork there is training two days every week from Apl-Aug, as well as numerous weekend spins. Even if you cannot make the training during the week, the weekend spins are worth it too. This training takes people with zero experience up to the level where they can finish the event comfortably.

I have done it 4 times and this is a fantastic event. The organiser, Paul, takes time to ensure that everyone is able for the challenge. Its not an event where you just turn up and meet a lot of strangers, there is a real family ethos about it. I have met some lifetime friends from it.

In short, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Go for it man! As has been said above people have started cycling in April and completed the tour in August. Just back from my second one and am still buzzing from it. This is much more than 4 days of cycling to raise a few pounds for charity. The tour has many positive things going on that make it a unique event. Check out the photos here for a flavour https://www.facebook.com/tourdemunster

1097086_584795964921118_1672828645_o.jpg

But there is also a bit of suffering involved! Here's yours truly grinding out Patricks hill.

For those of you enjoying my suffering in the above image any donations would be most welcome http://www.mycharity.ie/event/eoin_duggans_event

That kids face is brilliant and slightly disturbing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

I would love to complete this event too. Looks like a great cause too.

I could do with little feedback from some Tour de Munster veterans..

Currently I would be able to complete the Wicklow 100 at slowish /reasonable pace over 4 days. I have good cardio fitness but have some slight lingering injuries from the GAA days that stop me hammering it or undertaking the likes of 5 or 6 tough category climbs. I would not be able for the likes of the Wicklow 200 over 4 days.

I would not like to hold other cyclists up onthis event – are there slower leisurely cyclists/groups that complete this tour?

Thanks a million for any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

If you can do 100k now, then you are more than able to do this event. The event is NOT a race, and unlike a sportive, its not a case that everyone shoots off at the start. The 100-120 cyclists are split into groups of 10-15 and all ride together with about 300m between each group. Pace is controlled but on certain sections (mainly uphills), the leash is removed and people go up at their own speed. Some people race up these hills, some just go up at their own pace. Everyone regroups at the top and goes on again. I didnt do it this year but was talking to some of the people who did. I think the oldest person to do it this year was 69!

If you follow Paul's advice and especially if you go to the training in Cork, you WILL finish this event. So, get the email address from the web-site and shoot Paul an email.
    http://tourdemunster.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Thank you very much.
    mh_cork wrote: »
    If you can do 100k now, then you are more than able to do this event. The event is NOT a race, and unlike a sportive, its not a case that everyone shoots off at the start. The 100-120 cyclists are split into groups of 10-15 and all ride together with about 300m between each group. Pace is controlled but on certain sections (mainly uphills), the leash is removed and people go up at their own speed. Some people race up these hills, some just go up at their own pace. Everyone regroups at the top and goes on again. I didnt do it this year but was talking to some of the people who did. I think the oldest person to do it this year was 69!

If you follow Paul's advice and especially if you go to the training in Cork, you WILL finish this event. So, get the email address from the web-site and shoot Paul an email.
    http://tourdemunster.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Someone else

The attached photo is of Sean at the top of the Conor pass age 69…. Completed all 4 days & he's planning on doing it again next year… He came along in April & was up for it in August…
    Over the years men & women of all ages 17 - 70 have joined us & in the 6 years I've done I can count on my fingers how many didn't finish… Some years no one dropped out & we had one or two in other years.. The groups are split into stronger & weaker riders with the stronger helping & doing a lot of the head wind work.
    The big hills are very much at each persons personal pace & regroups are carried out after each one. Lunch in Clogheen after the Vee & regroup following the Conor pass in Dingle.
    Of course Sean Kelly has joined us for the full 4 days the last few years & you can really have some craic with him...

Advertisement