Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest score in hurling championship

Options
  • 10-08-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

For me it was Nickey English goal in the 1989 All Ireland Final against Antrim. The ball bounced in front of him and he swung on it and hit a rocket of a shot into the net. Some skill and one of the best goals i have ever seen. It was funny how all the crowd came out on the field to celebrate after he scored the goal. Epic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ciaran Carey obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

From recent memory Joe Cannings goal in the drawn final last year was superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

TG4 had this as the greatest hurling score of all time

Michael O'Hehir: "This is one we're going to see in slow motion but the slow motion won't even slow it down"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

This has to be the most adrenaline-fuelled score in any sport.
    (skip to 1:00 for the point itself)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ciaran Carey obviously

TG4 had this as the greatest hurling score of all time

Michael O'Hehir: "This is one we're going to see in slow motion but the slow motion won't even slow it down"

these 2 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Richie Hogan's goal in 2011 All-Ireland final is the greatest goal I've ever seen in GAA, and probably the best team score I've seen in any sport.

Truly remarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Kevin Broderick v Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ciaran Carey obviously

This for me also, superb score in what was a superb match. I think it means more when the score is in a really great, tight game. I watched this game in Croke Park, the company I was with had a corporate box and I got a tickets to see some leinster football semifinal. Cant even remember who was playing, because everyone in the box had gone back into the bar to watch the hurling.

If I recall rightly, one of the best full back displays I've ever seen from Brian Lohan that day also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

john fentons goal for cork v limerick in the munster championship in 1987 is probably imo the best ever goal scored :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Its hard to call the best I have seen but this is one of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I can only really go on scores I witnessed myself at matches, mainly Waterford games. Like Ive seen all the videos of Fenton, Barry Murphys goal etc but not the same as actually seeing it.

Flynners goal in 2004 obviously is high up the list. But for me, Dan Shanahan's point late on in the Munster final in 2007 is a little talked about gem. Ball game over his head, got it on the second tim of asking. He was just inside the 21 right on the sideline, pucking into the wind and with driving rain into his face too. Some tough angle, but he was hitting magic scores that year. Even his touch for I think his second goal in the conditions that day was pretty special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmDT7xasV2Y 14:48 on the video

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

In fairness, that Quigley point is a great call, I remember being almost blown away when watching it. Carey's point gets lots of praise for the catch, the run and for the situation it was in...but for pure skill, that's probably better.

The Broderick and Burke points are great examples of that too.

Barry Foley's sideline against Cork in 2001 too... lovely cut of the ball, in the last minute, to win the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The opening score in the 2001 semi final between Galway and Kilkenny.

Eugene Cloonan with a free from the half way line finds the net in the first minute of the game. Can't find a clip for it. :(

Later in the same game (47th min) Kevin Broderick picks it up in the centre of the field and waltzes his way through the cats defence to score one of the greatest points ever witnessed in Croke Park.

Galway go on to win.

Obviously :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

nice_guy80 wrote: »

this one?

The camera angle for that point really doesnt do it justice. I remember sitting in the Cusack watching that point and seeing the way Broderick ran into space (which you cant see so well with that camera angle). It was his run rather than the tap over the defender that made that point for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mouth of the South

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »

Loved that video except for the contribution of that langer Eddie "Kerr" as they called him. But then again I bet that pissed him off .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

Has to be Brian Corcoran from his knees

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mouth of the South

IRA 1916 wrote: »
    Has to be Brian Corcoran from his knees

Or the time against Waterford in 2005 All Ireland quarter final where he had the nous to drop the ball to the ground to avoid being hooked and put it in the back of the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Slow And One Sided

Paul Flynn's goal from a free in the 2004 munster final

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Or the time against Waterford in 2005 All Ireland quarter final where he had the nous to drop the ball to the ground to avoid being hooked and put it in the back of the net.

First drop goal in Croke Park! Impressive as skills people train to perfect are, the skill to be able to out think an opponent like that in a split second and pull off something so remarkably simple is the sign of a class act.

Can't separate it from Broderick's point against KK for quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭AlmostQuick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Gambas wrote: »
    First drop goal in Croke Park! Impressive as skills people train to perfect are, the skill to be able to out think an opponent like that in a split second and pull off something so remarkably simple is the sign of a class act.

Can't separate it from Broderick's point against KK for quality.

Could Corcorans goal as wonderfull and instinctive as it was, be technically a free out for throwing the ball to gain an advantage, a number of players have been pulled for throwing the ball coming into contact this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

Could Corcorans goal as wonderfull and instinctive as it was, be technically a free out for throwing the ball to gain an advantage, a number of players have been pulled for throwing the ball coming into contact this year.

Very good point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Dj Carey point v Clare 2002 AI Final. Class piece of skill where he lost Ollie Baker with his movement ballanced the ball on his hurley and then scored on the run without touching the ball in his hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

It's more than worthy my friend. It's the winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

[-0-] wrote: »
    It's more than worthy my friend. It's the winner.

Take off the saffron and blue glasses and watch it again. As good as the rest but there will never be a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

paul flynn's point against limerick..tony browne rides a shoulder..ken mcgrath with an amazing flick and flynn still has work to do before firing it over..its a great score.

fast forward to 7.47 to see it.

Advertisement