Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is it to be able to swim?

Options
  • 10-08-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

It's all in the title really. I can't even swim a full length of the pool without stopping as I can't get the timing right of bringing my head up to breathe. I've been working on it on and off for the last few months (on and off being key there) and I'm wondering is it really worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

A very subjective question OP, it depends on how much it's worth to you. While there are some learners here most of the regular posters are experienced swimmers; so it's extremely important that they're able to swim.

I don't know what age you are but I've seen people in their seventies and older learn to swim. I've known people learn to swim in their late thirties and go on to compete in master's competitions and become swimming teachers.

It can take along time to learn how to swim but no one has ever told me they regretted going to lessons; even if they've only learned the basics. It can be frustrating but stick with it.

there are tons of articles on the benefits of swimming. Basically exercise is better than sitting on your arse, so swimming is better than sitting on your arse. From a safety perspective swimming could save your life if you fall off a boat or that car you're in goes off a pier.

Swimming is portable; you need togs towel goggles and hat. You can carry them around nearly anywhere in case the opportunity of a swim arises.

It'd be hard to advise on how to correct your breathing without looking at your stroke (good posts from Angry Hippie recently in this discussion covering breathing). If you're not progressing maybe try a different teacher or one on one lessons. You could alternate between front crawl back stroke and breast stroke to get your breath and increase your distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

It is an exceedingly NB life skill!
    Keep at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

right.. thanks guys!

Advertisement