Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goalie Helmet

Options
  • 10-08-2013 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

God fecking help me but I've been roped into playing camogie again :D

In my day (yes I am that old) there was no such things as helmets really and shin guards were for mummy's little princesses :rolleyes:
    (I have a shiner on the shin now that changed my mind on that one):o
    But I find the helmet awful restrictive
    It's like my peripheral vision is impaired I can't explain it
    Now, I've no desire to have my pretty little nose broken again so I'm going to have to cough up (I've tried a few in the club but am not overly impressed with any of them)
    Any suggestions?
    Not too expensive please I'm too old to have a long career ahead of me, am only playing for the Craic & to get fit again really)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

There's no such thing as a goalie helmet per se. What make of helmet were you using? i'm guessing mycro/marc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

The Bogman wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a goalie helmet per se. What make of helmet were you using? i'm guessing mycro/marc?

Mycro
    Is there a better alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

a lot of hurling players replace the visor with a 'kilkenny guard'

there's not really much you can do with a helmet apart from get used to it by wearing it at all times when practicing or playing

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Mycro
    Is there a better alternative?

Firstly, and it might seem like a silly question, is the helmet the proper size? It can sometimes be hard to tell the difference between the different sized Mycro helmets as they're all the same shape and style. Mycro helmets come in 5 different sizes (I think).
    With regards to different makes of helmets, Mycro and Marc helmets are fairly similiar so I wouldn't imagine there's major differences between them. I just looked up on the GAA website the helmets approved by them and there are 7 types. Azzurri would be also similiar to Mycro. Another option is Cooper, or if you're getting very serious an old style Cooper. I use one of these myself, and I probably will never use anything else, as the comfort they offer is second to none.
    If its your vision that's impaired you could look at buying a Thurles or Kilkenny guard. Personally, I've only ever used a Kilkenny guard so I can't comment on the Mycro style but somebody else might be able to shed some light on the differences between a Kilkenny guard and a Mycro one. However, even just from looking at them you'd have to imagine the KK one offers better vision.

Jesus, I really rambled on there! Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The Bogman wrote: »
    If its your vision that's impaired you could look at buying a Thurles or Kilkenny guard. Personally, I've only ever used a Kilkenny guard so I can't comment on the Mycro style but somebody else might be able to shed some light on the differences between a Kilkenny guard and a Mycro one. However, even just from looking at them you'd have to imagine the KK one offers better vision.

Jesus, I really rambled on there! Hope it helps

The Kilkenny guard has less horizontal bars, so it appears (when looking at it) that it covers most of the lower half of the face. The micro one is closer to the hockey goal-tender helmet in that it covers more of the face.

O.p. I've never liked the look of the micro helmets and have a preference for the cooper ones (there is an Irish company that bought the license to manufacture them). If your vision is impaired by the mycro helmets, I suggest trying to get your hands on a cooper one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

antoobrien wrote: »
    The Kilkenny guard has less horizontal bars, so it appears (when looking at it) that it covers most of the lower half of the face. The micro one is closer to the hockey goal-tender helmet in that it covers more of the face.

O.p. I've never liked the look of the micro helmets and have a preference for the cooper ones (there is an Irish company that bought the license to manufacture them). If your vision is impaired by the mycro helmets, I suggest trying to get your hands on a cooper one.

My only warning on this is that the rules requiring helmets specifically state that if you modify the helmets in any way....you will not be covered by GAA insurance in case of an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

angelfire9 wrote: »
    God fecking help me but I've been roped into playing camogie again :D

In my day (yes I am that old) there was no such things as helmets really and shin guards were for mummy's little princesses :rolleyes:
    (I have a shiner on the shin now that changed my mind on that one):o
    But I find the helmet awful restrictive
    It's like my peripheral vision is impaired I can't explain it

Now, I've no desire to have my pretty little nose broken again so I'm going to have to cough up (I've tried a few in the club but am not overly impressed with any of them)
    Any suggestions?
    Not too expensive please I'm too old to have a long career ahead of me, am only playing for the Craic & to get fit again really)

I know of a few goalkeepers who wore one while watching television to get used to it at the time it was made compulsory to wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I know of a few goalkeepers who wore one while watching television to get used to it at the time it was made compulsory to wear one.

Brendan Cummins the Tipp goalie comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Thanks for the suggestions guys got a belt in the face guard from a sliothar last Saturday so I'm not going to complain about my helmet anymore :D

My only warning on this is that the rules requiring helmets specifically state that if you modify the helmets in any way....you will not be covered by GAA insurance in case of an injury.

That applys if (and only if) yo actually tamper with the face guard (replacing a face guard is considered normal practice). If it comes manufactured according to the standards they have to deal with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

antoobrien wrote: »
    That applys if (and only if) yo actually tamper with the face guard (replacing a face guard is considered normal practice). If it comes manufactured according to the standards they have to deal with you.

Yes but the kilkenny guard is a tampered with......it's a standard guard with bars taken out and other bars bent and they don't meet the manufacturer standards

Yes but the kilkenny guard is a tampered with......it's a standard guard with bars taken out and other bars bent and they don't meet the manufacturer standards

The cooper helmets come with the kilkenny guards, manufactured to the relevent standard. No removing bars required (anymore).

Advertisement