Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabling CSS on a browser permanently

Options
  • 09-08-2013 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hoping someone can help me out with something.

A client was recently in touch with us over a web page within their portal. They logged in and printed the page but noticed something strange about it so scanned it and emailed it to us. Anyway, it appears the CSS has been completely disabled for the page and hidden items are appearing which shouldn't (these will now be removed altogether). The user in question is well above retirement age so the idea of them manually disabling the CSS before printing is quite minimal.

Does anyone know if there would be a work around to disable the CSS without knowing it? Or if there is any application commonly used that would automatically do this? Maybe something like a viewable screen reader?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Sounds like there's a media="print" stylesheet kicking in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

For the page in question, there is a specific stylesheet for media="print" so it doesn't display menu items, page borders etc. However, in this specific print, the menu items are there and listed in bullet points (since they are list items) so obviously all stylesheets are disabled.

I'm trying to think of other ways this might be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

lil_lisa wrote: »
    For the page in question, there is a specific stylesheet for media="print" so it doesn't display menu items, page borders etc. However, in this specific print, the menu items are there and listed in bullet points (since they are list items) so obviously all stylesheets are disabled.

I'm trying to think of other ways this might be possible.

Have you tried printing the page yourself to cross-check it? Sounds much more likely that the stylesheet isn't loading correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Feathers wrote: »
    Have you tried printing the page yourself to cross-check it? Sounds much more likely that the stylesheet isn't loading correctly.

Oh, that said, I think with Chrome you can disable styles when printing though its not a default option or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Maybe due to a permissions issue they couldn't access the stylesheet for some reason?
    Has the CSS changed since, could there have been a temporary typo?
    Are they using IE4 or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I think it might be a case of an unsupported browser, or possibly some accessibility browser add on or something, I thought maybe there was something I was missing or was unaware of. Thanks for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Any time I've come across this type of issue wasn't that the CSS or JavaScript was disabled but that we'd made an update and forgotten to update the reference date and so the browser cache still had an older version. But it looked like the CSS was blocked as it had been superceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Is it possible that it could also be that the CSS source is located on a different domain and there is something local (or ISP) that does not allow cross-domain links?

Advertisement