Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Cold Water in Shower

Options
  • 09-08-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I have a thermostatically controlled shower in my bathroom (picture attached)

Whatever I do with the controls the shower just emits hot water. If I shut off the hot water supply to the bathroom nothing comes out.

Is it possible that the cold supply is blocked or something?

Any help would be appeciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Probably a blocked filter,but you would need to dismantle the shower to get at it

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Realtivity

Thanks for that.

Do you mean the filter in the shower head or is there one in the main assembly also?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Realtivity wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Do you mean the filter in the shower head or is there one in the main assembly also?
    There can be filters in the main assembly to try and stop debris from entering the innards of the thermostatic control.

Any knowledgeable plumber should be able to sort this problem for you.
    Unless your very handy yourself and want to attempt to take a stab at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Thanks for that.

Yes there is usually one on each inlet inside the main assembly

Although I have never come across one blocking completely, are you sure you are not even getting a dribble when just turning it to cold?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Yes there is usually one on each inlet inside the main assembly

Although I have never come across one blocking completely, are you sure you are not even getting a dribble when just turning it to cold?

Ok,

I bought the house a couple of years ago but I never used the shower in the bathroom as I have one en-suite and often prefer a bath. Last week I tried this one out for the first time and, as I said in the OP cutting off the hot water supply to bathroom results in not a drop coming out of the system.

My guess now is that the valve is probably blocked as a result of the years of non use.

As I understand it these valves will shut off the cold supply when the water in the cistern if not hot enough to meet the temperature setting of the valve. Is it possible that the valve got gunged up with calcium (or whatever it is). If it jams in the max hot position and the filter gets gunged up over the years then would this explain it?

Does this make sense?

Anyway It seems I will have to take it apart to see.

Thanks for the advise folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

The thermostatic valve could be plugged up, or simply stuck, but I'd be surprised if it didn't let something through. The most common cause of a blocked filter is polyethylene debris from the cold water storage tank but, as Wiz569 said, it is unusual to have a complete blockage.

I suggest you follow the pipes back to the cold tank and look for a valve that might be closed.

nmacc wrote: »
    The thermostatic valve could be plugged up, or simply stuck, but I'd be surprised if it didn't let something through. The most common cause of a blocked filter is polyethylene debris from the cold water storage tank but, as Wiz569 said, it is unusual to have a complete blockage.

I suggest you follow the pipes back to the cold tank and look for a valve that might be closed.

Thanks,

I already tried that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

If you have a thermostatic valve and it only lets hor water through your cartridge is damaged, as it should shut down as a safety precaution in the event of no cold water, you need to replace your thermostatic cartridge in the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Thanks,

I already tried that.

Ookaayy,

Could also be an airlock. If the cold supply pipe ran dry for any reason, then an airlock could form if there is a high point in the pipe. Check where the pipe from the tank descends - assuming it doesn't rise to the shower, in which case read no further!

If you find an elbow where the pipe turns down, get a couple of spanners and a towel & carefully open the joint a turn or so - not too much!. If air comes out, that's your problem. If water comes out, you'll need to turn off the supply/drain down the tank & take the mixer apart.

Advertisement