Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vrt exception

Options
  • 09-08-2013 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

If a person who qualifies for the vrt and tax exemptions on a car due to a disability as a passenger also own and drive another car .in other words their partner is able to buy a new car every 2 year's. And claim back the vrt and fuel tax and tolls and park in disabled parking spaces even though the disabled person never even sits in the tax free car (new car)as he has his own car (older car)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

mattman087 wrote: »
    If a person who qualifies for the vrt and tax exemptions on a car due to a disability as a passenger also own and drive another car .in other words their partner is able to buy a new car every 2 year's. And claim back the vrt and fuel tax and tolls and park in disabled parking spaces even though the disabled person never even sits in the tax free car (new car)as he has his own car (older car)

You make no sense at all ....... what are you trying to say .... or are you asking a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi,
    New car has to be specially adapted for disabled person.
    Excise duty on fuel will be reimbursed on on the actual kms used in the transportation of person with disability.
    Using a disabled space without the relevant person exiting/entering the vehicle is not only reprehensible but contravenes the rules regarding the issue of the parking card.
    Toll booth operators frequently (and rightfully so) ask if passenger is person named on card.

Eph

Sorry if I'm not making sense. A person suffers a stroke and loses the power on one side so become disabled.He is entitled to a vrt rebate plus other benefits on the purchase of a motor vehicle.and because he is not the principal driver his partner is . The car does not need to be modified.

If the car is not 'adapted to suit the claimants disability' then no rebates are payable.
    Now my question is if he can learn to drive again and pass a driving test. Should he be allowed to purchase an old car modify it to his needs and his partner be then allowed to purchase a new car every 2 year's vrt free along with all the other benefits because he has the disability.

A partner cannot claim anything under the scheme.
    The person with the disability makes the claim ..... or a claim is made by their appointed representative, if they are incapable of representing themselves.

There are strict criteria in place for the two sections of the scheme - driver & passenger.

In addition to proving that the disability is severe enough to warrant a 'Primary Medical Cert' the claimant must adapt the vehicle for use ..... and in the case of a passenger claimant, that adaptation must be a rather large percentage of the value of the vehicle.
    BTW .... the medical condition (one arm & one leg disabled) you described would not qualify for a medical cert and so that person would not be able to claim any relief - read the medical criteria in the link below.

What might be done, is a successful claimant as a passenger could later claim as a driver ---- but I believe a new medical cert might be required if the medical condition has changed.

There was (might be changed) no reason except personal finances, for a claimant to sell a vehicle, when purchasing a new one.
    So a disabled driver might have two family cars adapted for his use.
    Each will have been purchased correctly by him under the terms of the scheme.

He can of course only claim rebate on fuel used in the most recent vehicle, and ONLY while he is present in that vehicle.

There is a lot of information about the scheme on line, and I suggest you read it to clarify things.
    You obviously have a completely skewed view of what the scheme is and how it works.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/drivers-passengers-with-disabilities-tax-relief-scheme.pdf

I have read all the regulations that apply to the mobility scheme but it does not deal with my question. If a person qualifies for the driver disability scheme as a passenger can he own a separate car and drive it while his partner drives the vat and vrt free vehicle and all the other benefits that come with the scheme even though he (the disabled person) rarely sits in it. Is it fair or allowed.I presume the tax payers have paid the vrt and vat or at the loss of it.

The question has changed .....
    Now my question is if he can learn to drive again and pass a driving test. Should he be allowed to purchase an old car modify it to his needs and his partner be then allowed to purchase a new car every 2 year's vrt free along with all the other benefits because he has the disability.

To answer your new question .... no ..... the car may be driven by others but none of the on-going benefits are available unless the disabled person is in the vehicle.

I have read all the regulations that apply to the mobility scheme but it does not deal with my question. If a person qualifies for the driver disability scheme as a passenger can he own a separate car and drive it while his partner drives the vat and vrt free vehicle and all the other benefits that come with the scheme even though he (the disabled person) rarely sits in it. Is it fair or allowed.I presume the tax payers have paid the vrt and vat or at the loss of it.

Asked and answered! :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement