Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodcrafting beginner looking for advice.

Options
  • 09-08-2013 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm a soon to be 5th year student who is looking to get into woodcraft as a hobby for the next few years. I have produced a three rustic style pieces of furniture in the last few years. However, I don't really have access to enough materials to keep doing this, so I would like to get into wood carving/whittling and see where that takes me.
    I would like to know what tools would I need to get started in this? Preferably nothing too big or expensive.
    Also some websites or books for further learning would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could start with some basic carving knifes and then move onto chisels if you enjoy the carving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

There is no getting away from the cost of materials no matter what branch of woodworking you get into. Professional woodcarvers work mainly with blocks of Lime - traditionally the best wood to carve by a long shot.
    Try and get to some of the UK shows -they will open your eyes to the tools available including electric and I'd get the mail order catalogues -Rockler/LeeValley and Axminster ( I have some to spare -if you pm me I'll send them on )
    We have the world's best woodcarver ( Ian Norbury ) living here although he keeps a low profile,check out his work for inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

thanks to both of you for the advice.. much appreciated!

Advertisement