Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C Please, 6 pics from a n00b

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Go into each shot on flickr, go to the 'sharing' menu on the image (looks like a little box with an arrow coming from it) , click on 'grab the html/bbcode', and, ensuring that 'bbcode' is selected, copy the contents of the text box. Paste the bbcode for each image into your post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

1 composition is too noisy for me, I would move back a bit when framing this one.

2 is a nice composition but it looks like your AF point was on the green part of the plant and not the flower. Framing needs to be a touch higher too

3 Underexposed and personally don't like the subject

4 nothing there for me

5 Cute composition, lighting is a bit flat

6 Nice timing on this one! Both cats in exactly the same pose. Again lighting is flat. Also odd numbers of subjects tend to be more interesting than even numbers. Your DOF is also too shallow with the smaller of the two cats out of focus.

Keep up the good work, the more you shoot the more you learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

M5 wrote: »
    1 composition is too noisy for me, I would move back a bit when framing this one.
    If I move back will it not get noisier?
    2 is a nice composition but it looks like your AF point was on the green part of the plant and not the flower. Framing needs to be a touch higher too
    Is that so as not to cut off the bud on the top left?

6 Nice timing on this one! Both cats in exactly the same pose. Again lighting is flat. Also odd numbers of subjects tend to be more interesting than even numbers. Your DOF is also too shallow with the smaller of the two cats out of focus.

Very intersting on the odd numbers - thanks for the head up! What do you mean by flat lighting? Is that underexposed or...?
    Keep up the good work, the more you shoot the more you learn!

Will do, many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

1 nope, you would isolate the subject more. It just looks too big for me (ouf course that's down to taste). Your low DOF would take care of the background although you might need to step down to a lower aperture to retain DOF

2 Look up the rule of thirds. Would be nice to get that bud in frame too.

3 Odd/even is just a pointer. I mean there are no shadows being cast. Common enough under an overcast sky as the clouds diffuse the light. Shadows and lighting add a lot to a photo.

If only i could remember these pointers myself :) so much easier to critique someone elses work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Purely a personal thing for me, but you seem to be freehand cropping and I personally prefer standard aspect ratios.

• Advertisement
Advertisement