Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Drivers Warnings

Options
  • 09-08-2013 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Two Questions :
    1) Why are Speed Camera Warnings used ?
    To a "normal" driver, they are not a problem but to "Speedsters" all they
    will do is slow down & then accelerate again to exceed Speed Limits.
    The camera Warnings should be abolished and let the "Speedsters" get
    caught.
    2) Why do the Gardai announce at Bank Holidays etc. that they are increasing
    Check Points/Speeding etc.
    Does this mean that they are not watching out for these matters every
    other day(s) of the year.
    Such announcements should be cancelled and let any "bad" drivers get
    caught & dealt with accordingly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Them be 2 big Questions there

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Twickers wrote: »
    2) Why do the Gardai announce at Bank Holidays etc. that they are increasing Check Points/Speeding etc..

It means they are taking the weekend off like every one else, why do you think accidents increase whenever the Gardaí call an operation, we've known for fifty years that as soon as the Gardaí announce a clamp down, they are actually announcing their own holidays and it's a free road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Can't answer you on the first as I'm a speeder myself. On the second point, I often meet check points during the week but have never seen one on a bank holiday, I think they actually have less checkpoints on bankholidays but the fear keeps people in line. Hence the announcements, just my opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Two Questions :
    caught.

Hidden speed cameras are revenue generating machines.Visible speed cameras work,as you said they slow people down.Hidden ones don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Trying to get people to slow down in areas where accidents are more common I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Two Questions :
    caught.
    Cause most drivers speed. They want them to slow down in certain areas

Because we rather drivers slow down when roads are busy than potential crash to teach them a lesson.

....awaits the usual high horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

I suppose it's based on the assumption that speed causes accidents and that by publicising increased Garda activity, people will be wary, speed less and accidents will be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The idea is to get people to slow down. Not to catch people speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

But would you not agree that they were 2 big Questions?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hidden speed cameras are revenue generating machines.Visible speed cameras work,as you said they slow people down.Hidden ones don't.
    They do when penalty points hit 11. Driving Miss Daisy time then.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Two Questions :
    caught.

You're not meant to flash drivers to warn them of Gardai up ahead but the Gardai themselves put warnings up warning you.

I suppose it's to cause drivers to slow down, whether there's speed vans up ahead or not. It could save someone from being in an accident. If the warning signs weren't there then the speeders could crash before they reach the speed vans.

The 2nd point you made is like the Al Qaeda telling the world that they'll be making more attacks during August. It puts people on the look out. Just do it without warning. That's a bad way of giving an example, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

So you never do 43mph in a 40mph zone?

Or was that you that was holding up a line of traffic yesterday evening, forcing me to overtake two cars in one go? Speeders are fined and people who drive at 20mph on an open road also cause accidents but regard themselves as safe drivers. Like the auld wan who said: “I’ve been driving for fifty years and never been in an accident but I’ve seen plenty”.

solas111 wrote: »
    So you never do 43mph in a 40mph zone?

Or was that you that was holding up a line of traffic yesterday evening, forcing me to overtake two cars in one go? Speeders are fined and people who drive at 20mph on an open road also cause accidents but regard themselves as safe drivers. Like the auld wan who said: “I’ve been driving for fifty years and never been in an accident but I’ve seen plenty”.

Youll find that people who like to overly punish other motorists with draconian enforcement proclaim to be perfect motorists themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Twichur wrote:
    Two Questions :
    caught.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but the bad drivers you mention seem to use the road every day, so they are there to be caught whenever you see fit.
    "Speeding" is just one of many problems on our roads but an easy one to prosecute as its produces a number measurable with current technology.
    Stupidity is harder to measure reliably.

These announcements tend to be combination of PR and public awareness campaigns that only good drivers take notice of anyway.

Trying to get people to slow down in areas where accidents are more common I'd imagine.

I believe that to be an urban myth. TBH, bad road design is more culpable, too often we can go nowhere but into the other car. Modern road design ensures any discrepancy becomes an accident.

wil wrote: »
    Stupidity is harder to measure reliably..

With the removal of womens' cheaper insurance cover, we will see a better appropriation of blame, women are responsible for a huge amount accidents, whilst not being directly involved.

Most male drivers end up dead, but what stories do we have before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

It's actually 3 questions, but hey..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I believe that to be an urban myth. TBH, bad road design is more culpable, too often we can go nowhere but into the other car. Modern road design ensures any discrepancy becomes an accident.

Slow down in bad areas or that thats what the Gardai are trying to achieve ? I dont see how its a myth if its about speed in black spots, the faster a car is travelling the harder it is to avoid an accident if something happens. On a bad stretch of road is only logical to try stop people speeding more so than other places. I dont understand how someone can blame the road either, you wouldnt stick to the speed limit around a bend and then blame the road when ya crash. People are responsible for themselves on the road and that includes being aware of the road they are on and how best to traverse it safely. Road signs and speed warnings just facilitate them in doing it.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    It's actually 3 questions, but hey..............

hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If they set up some system to catch people snailing it on the roads they'd make a bomb..got caught behind a young one doing 70 on the M50 a few weeks ago..fcking 70.

My mam's friend is awful for claiming she just goes whatever speed she wants(meaning way below the limit) and 'fcuk everyone else'..then my mam gets in the car with me and says

'Are you not going very fast?'
    'I'm barely going the limit here..can't be holding other people up'
    'Well X just goes as slow as she wants' fcuukkkk:pac:

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    If they set up some system to catch people snailing it on the roads they'd make a bomb..got caught behind a young one doing 70 on the M50 a few weeks ago..fcking 70.

My mam's friend is awful for claiming she just goes whatever speed she wants(meaning way below the limit) and 'fcuk everyone else'..then my mam gets in the car with me and says

'Are you not going very fast?'
    'I'm barely going the limit here..can't be holding other people up'
    'Well X just goes as slow as she wants' fcuukkkk:pac:

Cars approaching and stuck in convoys of 80km/h on N roads do my head in and is dangerous ( one lapse in concentration and there is a greater chance of an accident). Drivers get fed up and take risks. Constant breaking and accelerating in close proximity to other cars at high enough speeds. Evenly spaced out cars all doing 10 over is way safer plus a more enjoyable spin.... until you meet the next idiot going 80km/h in perfect conditions :mad:

Advertisement