Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght in freefall

Options
  • 08-08-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

For those of you who don't know Tallaght Cross was a retail office and Apartment complex almost turning Tallaght into a city well that was the plan.:rolleyes:
    Very few Irish people and even fewer Tallaght people got jobs building it and now it stands empty and in the hands of NAMA for the most part.

There were two hotels now gone a Gym and pool now gone Marks and Spencers and Captian Americas now also gone leaving the entire area empty.
    Most retail units were never occupied or even finished.

Tallaght has also had more then it's fair share of immigrants who seem to get houses but never seem to find a job.
    What is the thinking that goes into putting unskilled immigrants into an unemployment black spot?
    Tallaght has more then it's fair share of junkies and scumbags who never seem to get locked up.
    Tallaght only has one decent Restaurant left for an area with a population of over 71,000.
    There are over 1,000 empty Apartments standing idol.

Greedy property developers have wasted hundreds of millions in Tallaght on white elepent projects that have given no jobs to the people of Tallaght and are now part of the national debt.

I seen another thread saying that there was no real recession maybe that is true for Foxrock and areas on the Luas green line but it getting much worse in areas like Tallaght.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Well ye still have Tallafornia.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you didnt know the entire development was bought by the Comer Group a group owned by two brothers from Galway.

This deal was signed off this year and they are in the progress of completing the incompleted apartments.

I would imagine they are on top of trying to attract anchor tenants. There is actually a need for a good hotel in Tallaght as there is a market for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Tallaght only has one decent Restaurant left for an area with a population of over 71,000.

Last time I was there Tallaght had a Mcdonalds AND a Burger King!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

For those of you who don't know Tallaght Cross was a retail office and Apartment complex almost turning Tallaght into a city well that was the plan.:rolleyes:
    Very few Irish people and even fewer Tallaght people got jobs building it and now it stands empty and in the hands of NAMA for the most part.

There were two hotels now gone a Gym and pool now gone Marks and Spencers and Captian Americas now also gone leaving the entire area empty.
    Most retail units were never occupied or even finished.

Tallaght has also had more then it's fair share of immigrants who seem to get houses but never seem to find a job.
    What is the thinking that goes into putting unskilled immigrants into an unemployment black spot?
    Tallaght has more then it's fair share of junkies and scumbags who never seem to get locked up.
    There are over 1,000 empty Apartments standing idol.

Greedy property developers have wasted hundreds of millions in Tallaght on white elepent projects that have given no jobs to the people of Tallaght and are now part of the national debt.

I seen another thread saying that there was no real recession maybe that is true for Foxrock and areas on the Luas green line but it getting much worse in areas like Tallaght.

Could explain the tenants position in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Tallaght.

lived in it for 4 years and I loved it.

Sure it has its "rough spots".

Name me one place in Ireland with a similar population that doesn't though?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

How do you know these immigrants (a) never have a job and (b) are unskilled?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

listermint wrote: »
    There is actually a need for a good hotel in Tallaght as there is a market for it.

I am from Tallaght and I can say who in their right mind would book a Hotel to stay in Tallaght?

Tourists?
    International businessmen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I am from Tallaght and I can say who in their right mind would book a Hotel to stay in Tallaght?

Tourists?

...hotels were built to avail of a tax break.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

We've got to take off and nuke the place from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I am in one of the 'empty' apartment blocks right now. Some of what op has said has been exaggerated to make his point.

Tourists?

Your obviously completely inept with what you are discussing because of the 3 hotels that are there they have quite a large and regular custom. This is a fact.

The quality of all the hotels is questionable tbh as our multinational has stopped using one of them down to service related problems.

But a well serviced 48 bed would have no issue being filled.

Back over to you sir..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Tourists?

Erm.

Someone whom had business in the D24 area?

A tourist whom wanted a hub to explore Dublin and the Wicklow/Dublin mountains?

Jesus have some pride in the place you reside in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Tourists?

That's one thing that always confused me with the massive building spree during the boom, why so many hotels in non-tourist/airport areas. I mean there's only so many business conferences and weddings that you can have

SamHall wrote: »
    Erm.

Someone whom had business in the D24 area?

A tourist whom wanted a hub to explore Dublin and the Wicklow/Dublin mountains?

Jesus have some pride in the place you reside in.

Comes across as a clueless rant tbf. OP did you research your post before you started ?

Nodin wrote: »
    How do you know these immigrants (a) never have a job and (b) are unskilled?

Loads of Women with loads of children.
    The last thing we need is large family's of young kids in an unemployment black spot Tallaght had plenty of that already.

P_1 wrote: »
    That's one thing that always confused me with the massive building spree during the boom, why so many hotels in non-tourist/airport areas. I mean there's only so many business conferences and weddings that you can have

Tough work getting a new hotel room in central dublin for ~75 a night. Or you could be on the luas line with M50 transport connections..

I think the choice is fairly obvious and is taken based on the custom that they receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭dirtyden

The last thing we need is large family's of young kids in an unemployment black spot Tallaght had plenty of that already.

Do you drive a taxi?

I have a shovel here you can borrow. I bought it in Woodies, theyre beside rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Its a shame to see actually ,parts of area is just a hang out for what seems half the junkie population of Dublin ,
    Theres a lot of potential there ,
    Wonder would it make sense as part of the square town centre extension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Jesus, you're actually just talking through your arse now.

Gatling wrote: »
    Its a shame to see actually ,parts of area is just a hang out for what seems half the junkie population of Dublin ,
    Theres a lot of potential there ,
    Wonder would it make sense as part of the square town centre extension

Needs an anchor tenant to pull traffic into the area, e,g. Pennys for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

listermint wrote: »
    Tough work getting a new hotel room in central dublin for ~75 a night. Or you could be on the luas line with M50 transport connections..

I think the choice is fairly obvious and is taken based on the custom that they receive.

True fair point, to be honest I was thinking more of the likes of the hotel in the middle of nowhere by the M1 than hotels in Tallaght

FatherLen wrote: »
    Jesus, you're actually just talking through your arse now.

How so?
    The schools are full and so is the social welfare office.

Kids grow up fast and the area had just lost another 90 jobs this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

How so?

So declare open season on women and children is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

wazky wrote: »
    Last time I was there Tallaght had a Mcdonalds AND a Burger King!?

Is there not also a KFC and an Eddie Rockets?

How so?

So what are you going to do about it PH ? Realistically speaking that section has some small units and is screaming out for a well managed and functional cafe to properly service the hospital and the surrounding business. Something with a bit of atmosphere and perhaps good coffee.

of you jaunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm from Tallaght and I think it's terrible how all those apartment/retail outlets have stayed empty for so long.

The two hotels, Glashaus and I forget the other, didn't stay open very long, did they?

The Square actually seems to have picked up trade in the last year or so, according to a few reports I read. More retailers are seeking units to rent and that's great.

Awful shame about M&S closing but I never understood how they could have done well; highly overpriced stuff.

Anyway, I think Tallaght has the potential to grow into a diverse, exciting and vibrant place.

We do need more restaurants though...and Penney's would be a big coup if they came. They were meant to take the IMC's venue but apparently it wasn't suitable.

I'm proud of being from Tallaght and I sincerely hope the area gets the boost it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

enough of the silliness, try here

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement