Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nursing in Australia

Options
  • 08-08-2013 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am applying with the Australian Nursing board however am finding it very difficult to contact them even considering the time difference.

I'd like to find out if I apply to register in Sydney NSW, where I will be arriving dose that automatically convert to allow me to nurse in Perth WA where I plan to settle? Or do I have to go through a different application process once I register with NSW.

Equally the form is requesting a residential address in Australia, I don't and wont have this. Can I keep my Irish address for all correspondence until I arrive?

Thank You I hope I've posted this correctly!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Moving to "Living Abroad" and we'll see how you get on there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brizzel25

Hi Marz.

Have you applied for anmac (Australian nursing midwiffery accrediation council) ? http://www.anmac.org.au/international-services I think that is the initial step in orded to get registered.
    My wife and I are both nurses and are looking for a permanent move to Oz too; but, its a very long process. 10 months and counting.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brizzel25

HI Marz,

Different state different registration. see http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-and-Endorsement/Fees.aspx or below.

Schedule of fees effective 1 August 2013

ItemNational fee ($)Rebate for NSW registrants ($)Fee for registrants with principal place of practice in NSW ($)Application fee for general registration
    Application fee for limited registration
    Application fee for non-practising registration
    Application fee for endorsement of registration
    Application fee for fast track application
    Registration fee for general registration
    Registration fee for limited registration
    Registration fee for non-practising registration
    Late renewal fee for general registration
    Late renewal fee for limited registration
    Late renewal fee for non-practising registration
    Replacement registration certificate
    Extract from the register
    Copy of the register (if application is assessed as in the public interest)
    Overseas assessment charge
    Verification of registration status (Certificate of Registration Status)
    Please note that:
    • On the initial registration, both an application fee and a fee for annual renewal of registration apply.
    • There are no fees for the registration of students.
    • No fee applies when changing from general registration type to non-practising.
    • A fee applies when applying for non-practising registration and no general registration type is currently held by the applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Marzipan87

I have received some mail regarding registering as a nurse in Australia, so I'd like to share my experience publicly with the hope it may help.

My background; Once qualified as a registered nurse in Ireland I moved to London to work in a public NHS hospital for 2 and a half years. I made this move with many other classmates through TTM recruitment agency.

I started planning my move to Australia earlier this year 2013. I applied for my Australian working holiday visa on line which is very straightforward and fast. As my intention was to nurse in Australia I had to undertake a full physical examination, urine analysis and bloods (infectious diseases, HIV etc) and chest x ray, as the documents state this is justified to protect the Australian population and its health system. This must be completed by a select private Australian physician so check up the address and contact them regarding their prices. I completed mine in London which cost £310 GBP. The results are sent on their electronic system to a medical team to review and then a decision is made. I received my visa the following day. I do know those with minor medical conditions can take up to 3 months to be processed, allow time for this contact them and try be patient.
    That was the easy part!!

The Nursing application I found difficult at times, I printed the document online and its supporting files from AHPRA (Australian health practitioners regulatory authority) equally you will be redirected from the Australian nursing board to this for an overseas application. I began completing the form and collecting required supporting documents since about March this year while working full time in London. It is time consuming. Every certificate you attach must be certified according to their own guidelines (available on the aphra website) this will cost you...! I went to the Australian embassy notary office London (no appointment required but contact them prior to confirm opening hours of notary office ensuring it is not an Australian bank holiday, arrive early) per certificate copied and stamped it cost £18 GBP. You must certify all supporting certificates or they will not be accepted.

As I am Irish regarding the English language test you must prove you have been thought and assessed in English for 5 years either primary, secondary and at 3rd level. This must include your nursing education via English. I went town Irish primary school so I received a letter from both my secondary school and university stating my dates of study and that I was thought and assessed in English (school headed paper, signed and dated). Otherwise you will need to do an English language test, oral, written and aural, they provide links on where and how to complete this.

You will need written letters from your human resources/manager to state your commencement dates, contract type i.e. full/part time, type of shifts worked and description of duty. Human resources should be used to completing this factual letter and have all information on file so it shouldn't take too long.

I had to organise a letter of good standing from all nursing boards I was registered with that is the An board Altranais and the NMC UK. You will have to ring An board Altranais to identify how to arrange this their website is not helpful (last time I checked) but great over the phone. With ABA I had to write a letter stating what I wanted and who I wanted them to send it to, plus a cheque.....€80!! For the NMC UK I contacted them over the phone and requested the paperwork to be sent out, complete it (note it allows you to send the letter of good standing to up to 5 places no extra cost) and paid ?? GBP, I can remember, sorry. Please note that once the letter is sent out by NMC you only have 3 months to submit it back to them otherwise get a new one. The boards will send this directly to the Australian board so will need to ensure your application has arrived with them first. Otherwise the Australian board can void the letter if it doesn't have an applicant registered for it.

It takes time to coordinate all the supporting documents for the application prior to submitting it. You are giving strick time deadlines to complete any outstanding requests by aphra so be sure you are happy with everything you want to submit first.

I resigned from my job in late April, as I was awaiting letters from my university I did not submit my application until August. I have been traveling since May had month off in August and submitted everything. I sent my requests to both nursing boards and my application on the same day....all registered with an post!!

About 6 weeks later I received an email from them stating further documents. A detailed hardcopy reference from my employer, they state the information in which they require. A history of my continuous professional development CPD for 12 months from the date the application was lodged with them. Check up CPD requirements for nurses in Australia, for me applying for reg

Registered nurse requirements are at minimum 21hours this can include mandatory training, e-learning, more certified copies of attendance to study days etc. They provide a template to complete this and search the Australian nursing board for examples on how to complete it, I found it helpful. Just ensure you can make your minimum number of hours you can provide an article reference as proof.

The final thing they requested was the specific theory and practice hours I completed with my university, they provide a template for this if required, your university must sign and stamp it. You will also need to sign and date it. My university took time with this, the original hard copy is just accepted. I had a 6 week deadline for this.....however I Asia so these were a little annoying to organize, but possible!

Once all was sent in and I made the deadline I had to wait just 4 weeks, arrived in Sydney, Australia. I needed a letter stating a residential address in Australia, this was a tempory hostel address, the bank kindly printed a certificate of balance which was accepted with my passport an entry stamp and a copy of my visa email. Yesterday 4hours after I proved my identity I received an email with my registration here!!

Please understand I was planning traveling thus couldn't solely focus on my nursing application, thus it did take longer. But expect 3 to 4 months once you submit your application. I had a lot of difficulty trying to contact ahpra for information, I didn't receive any replies from emails sent prior to my application being submitted. Only when they required further info I was assigned a person who replied to emails quickly and was very helpful. I contacted them via phone but it is difficult, lines are busy and info I received was rushed.

Hope this is helpful, it doesn't include all parts of the application but I'd be happy to help if I can. Also its just my experience with applying for the Australian nursing registration.

Advertisement