Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing regular horizontal rad with a Vertical rad

Options
  • 08-08-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

A friend was asking me about doing this in her apartment living room. Looks possible but I was wondering about the visible pipework that will be left. The current rad is 150 x 43 cm with the feeder pipes centred a further 5 cm each side coming out of the wall. One side of the new rad will obviously be plumbed in directly but what to do with other side which will need a pipe from the existing exit out of the wall to the new rad (hope I'm explaining this correctly). Has anybody replaced a horizontal with a vertical and how did it turn out? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

wait4me wrote: »
    A friend was asking me about doing this in her apartment living room. Looks possible but I was wondering about the visible pipework that will be left. The current rad is 150 x 43 cm with the feeder pipes centred a further 5 cm each side coming out of the wall. One side of the new rad will obviously be plumbed in directly but what to do with other side which will need a pipe from the existing exit out of the wall to the new rad (hope I'm explaining this correctly). Has anybody replaced a horizontal with a vertical and how did it turn out? Thanks

You will have to re route the pipe, if not it will be ugly forever and at risk if somebody stands on it, unless its hidden behind a press or simular.
    3-4" can be made up either side with crome adaptors but not your difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Apart from the ugly pipework, what type of wall are you thinking of putting the vertical rad on?
    You have to ensure that you are hanging the rad into something solid as some of these verticals can be quite heavy.
    IMO you would be taking a huge risk hanging off a standard plasterboard wall, if that is what you have, without some solid grounds behind it.

Advertisement