Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flu shot time?

Options
  • 08-08-2013 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi.

Past two years, the flu has been hitting me heavy.
    Decided that this year I will get a flu shot, in order to avoid missing days in work.
    Anyone know when to take the flu shot? Is August to early?
    Reason I'm asking is because I already see people with handkerchiefs and tissues in work......

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Usually available from the end of September

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

2 weeks into September is the info I got from the local clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Be sure to ask for single dose vial, multi dose vials contain a lot of mercury

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Hobbitfeet wrote: »

Be sure to make any decisions on the basis of scientific literature and without reading godhatesmercury.com.

If there is an option to get a shot that does not contain a know highly toxic ingredient then why not opt for that one. Lots of research showing the dangers of thimerosol so it seems sensible to avoid it if possible

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

tumblr_inline_mr0yx6Lnh61qz4rgp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Hobbitfeet wrote: »

You know something that the rest of us don't?

I've never seen a multidose vial of flu vaccine in this country. Ever.

I'm fairly sure they don't exist.

Mind you, why should you allow an inconvenient little thing like the truth get in the way of a good conspiracy theory?

No conspiracy theory here.

Multidose vials for flu vaccine do exist as you can see here the list of flu vaccines in use in the US for this season
    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6132a3.htm#tab

Multidose flu vaccines have been used in Ireland, one example of this is the Pandermrix vaccine which was multidose vials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

we're done here, the op's question has
    been answered. anyone wishing to debate the mercury issue can head to conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

well this escalated quickly. Thank you all for your answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

ibstar wrote: »
    Hi.

Reason I'm asking is because I already see people with handkerchiefs and tissues in work......

Thanks.
    Handkerchiefs and tissues implies colds not flu. No relation between the two. Generally speaking (but not always) runny nose, sneezing and sore throat equals cold feeling like **** with headaches, fever and generalised aches and pains is flu.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement