Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking on All Ireland Day

Options
  • 08-08-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

I have a question that I hope somebody can give advice on.

My 82 year old dad has a 10 year ticket for both finals that expires next year. Normally my Mum drops him in and he walks to the Dart station after to get home but his walking has got really bad in the last year.

He is desperate to go to the final and I was wondering is there anyway possible my Mum could get (pay for) some sort of parking ticket in Croke Park so she be waiting for him after the game.
    His memory isnt the best either so ideal scenario is she waits right in at Croke Park at the gates.

I dont live in Ireland anymore so I cant help.

I dont think he knows anyone going to the games.

Any suggestions how to make this work somehow would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

The only thing I could suggest is for yer Mam to park in Clonliffe College coming in off the Drumcondra Road. There's a designated parking area for assisted needs people which I think is fairly close to the Clonliffe Road exit of the parking area - basically takes him out a few hundred yards from the Hogan Stand, of course the question remains what yer Mam will do during the intervening 4 hours

Btw it's a curse to get out of ... and AI day it will be as bad as it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

You could do a drop off - get a lift and get by the match cordons
    Perhaps a taxi could also do this.
    You would be best going early and then waiting around after the game - as you have premimum seats you could wait after til traffic clears in relative comfort.

If you want to say what section the ticket is for you might get somebody to volunteer to help and wait with your dad - most GAA folk are decent and will do somebody that favour

This is from GAA website

To allow vehicles past the Garda cordons on match days for ‘drop offs’, patrons must contact Mountjoy Garda Station on +353 (1) 01 666 8600 or email events.mountjoy@garda.ieevents.mountjoy@garda.ie. Please note that the entrance for wheelchair users on public level is through the A2 gate at the Cusack Stand turnstiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭ronjo

Thanks for the replies guys. I will have a chat with Mum again soon and see what she wants to do.

He doesnt have a mobile and wouldnt have a clue how to use it unfortunately.
    Getting someone to wait with him could actually be a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

ronjo wrote: »
    He is desperate to go to the final and I was wondering is there anyway possible my Mum could get (pay for) some sort of parking ticket in Croke Park so she be waiting for him after the game.
    His memory isnt the best either so ideal scenario is she waits right in at Croke Park at the gates.

I'm not sure if he will qualify as disabled, but here are the accessibility details from the croke park website: http://www.crokepark.ie/about/accessibility/match-concert-day.

If you are unsure, you can always email them, the contact details are available on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭ronjo

antoobrien wrote: »
    I'm not sure if he will qualify as disabled, but here are the accessibility details from the croke park website: http://www.crokepark.ie/about/accessibility/match-concert-day.

If you are unsure, you can always email them, the contact details are available on the website.

Thanks a lot Anto, will run this by the folks too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have definitely seen cars leave people off directly outside the stadium on the Cusack side. Just where they sell programs. Big gates there and I should think you will be able to get in there.
    GAA seem dead sound when it comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

For my uncles brother in law they were dead sound.

Allowing drop offs as described above.

He isn't disabled but does have mobility problems, bad Parkinson's.
    And they were very accommodating although saying that there was people with him going to the match.

Contact them and ask is the best you can do really.

Advertisement