Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservation jobs?

Options
  • 08-08-2013 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was offered a place on the MSc Biodiversity & Conservation course at Trinity College and would love to hear from anyone who works in this area or studied something similar. I am basically wondering are there any jobs within this field in Ireland? I realise now is not a good time for jobs in the majority of sectors, but I am still having difficulty deciding whether to accept the offer or not in terms of future employment! I just graduated with a first in Environmental Biology, and am wondering will the high cost of a masters in Biodiversity & Conservation actually offer me much more in terms of gaining employment than my degree.

Thanks, any help appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I studied zoology in UCD, and then the equivalent to your masters in UCD too - there's very few jobs in conservation in Ireland tbh, but I am much much more prepared for working in conservation having done the masters than I was before it. So I think it probably will be worth the time and money to do the masters in the long run alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

There are jobs going in the NPWS as rangers. However the positions are being filled by transfer of civil servants from the Department of Agriculture. People who generally have at best Ag Science degrees or less, while there are people with relevant degrees who will be looked over.:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

There are jobs going in the NPWS are rangers. However the positions are being filled by transfer of civil servants in the Department of Agriculture. People who generally have at best Ag Science degrees or less, while there are people with relevant degrees who will be looked over.:(

In the past they tried to move meat processors/inspectors from the Dept of Ag into vacant ranger positions, but they would have had worse hours and come out with less pay apparently so the meat processors/inspectors turned them down! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

In the past they tried to move meat processors/inspectors from the Dept of Ag into vacant ranger positions, but they would have had worse hours and come out with less pay apparently so the meat processors/inspectors turned them down! :P
    You're correct. They are trying to do the exact same thing now, moving agricultural officers from meat factories to ranger positions. If there are no volunteers then the AO's will be transfered anyway.

Advertisement