Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were the crews in TOS and TNG insane?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Data had a Jekyll and Hyde persona, he would be super ethical yet every so often would turn into a complete psychopath. Picard had issues with relationships, Troi seemed to suffer from schizophrenia or psychosis occassionally hearing music that wouldnt stop or seeing herself in the mirror except it wasnt her, Worf would go awol with his Klingon honour thing, Geordi had the holodeck fantasy play thing incident etc. In TOS I cant remember any specific incidents but they seemed more stable although I could be wrong.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Data had a Jekyll and Hyde persona, he would be super ethical yet every so often would turn into a complete psychopath

Any examples that don't relate to an outside influence?
    Picard had issues with relationships

I wouldn't call it an 'issue', he just distanced himself from the crew because he felt it was best a Captain never got too close. He could have to order any of them to their deaths, have to put them in harms way etc etc.
    Troi seemed to suffer from schizophrenia or psychosis occassionally hearing music that wouldnt stop or seeing herself in the mirror except it wasnt her

All outside influences, unless you've examples of it happening otherwise?
    Worf would go awol with his Klingon honour thing

Afair, he never went AWOL. When Picard wouldn't give him extended leave, he resigned in order to try prevent a civil war on his home planet. I don't think anyone else would do different. I thought he balanced his honour with his commitments very well.
    Geordi had the holodeck fantasy play thing incident etc

It never affected his work, & we as viewers know it was really an innocent thing that he done. Dr Brahms was initially re-created on the holodeck to act like an interactive schematic & design system for Geordi, in a crisis situation. He found himself developing a rapport with the character. It was unfortunate for Geordi that the real Brahms discovered the program. Lest we forget, even Riker felt particularly 'charmed' by a holodeck character in a Jazz club setting. If you want to look at inappropriate holodeck useage, look to Reg Barclay, now that was different.
    In TOS I cant remember any specific incidents but they seemed more stable although I could be wrong.

I don't think any of the above can be construed as insanity :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

EnterNow wrote: »
    Any examples that don't relate to an outside influence?

I wouldn't call it an 'issue', he just distanced himself from the crew because he felt it was best a Captain never got too close. He could have to order any of them to their deaths, have to put them in harms way etc etc.

All outside influences, unless you've examples of it happening otherwise?

Afair, he never went AWOL. When Picard wouldn't give him extended leave, he resigned in order to try prevent a civil war on his home planet. I don't think anyone else would do different. I thought he balanced his honour with his commitments very well.

It never affected his work, & we as viewers know it was really an innocent thing that he done. Dr Brahms was initially re-created on the holodeck to act like an interactive schematic & design system for Geordi, in a crisis situation. He found himself developing a rapport with the character. It was unfortunate for Geordi that the real Brahms discovered the program. Lest we forget, even Riker felt particularly 'charmed' by a holodeck character in a Jazz club setting. If you want to look at inappropriate holodeck useage, look to Reg Barclay, now that was different.

I don't think any of the above can be construed as insanity :confused:

I think if one were to not be aware of the outside influences the crew would seem insane. I have this idea that tv shows have a subconscious and that things like this are meant to signify the crew going crazy or already being crazy, the outside influence bit is just to establish a semblance of equilibrium for the viewer. I think Buffy might have broached this in a way, everything seems incredibly far fetched and it's only until season 6 that it discloses, well maybe this is all in Buffy's head. Or The Simpsons, it's turned into the Waltons, so when Homer does the neck strangle thing or says something that's too stupid to believed (particularly nowadays) you know that it's Homer pretending to be aggressive/stupid, playing up to the audience or putting on a comic persona for his audience of fellow Springfield characters for their entertainment and his own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

In TOS I cant remember any specific incidents but they seemed more stable although I could be wrong.

- Spock attacking Kirk for mating rights.

- Sulu going on a rampage with his fencing sword

- You eh... remember the tribbles right?

Advertisement