Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Dim sometimes

Options
  • 07-08-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My laptop was subject to some physical abuse....(long story) it now has a new motherboard. and new palm rest. Was delighted to see it turn on but then noticed nothing on screen. Connected to tv via hdmi and works fine.

Then the other day the screen suddenly started working, and it's working now. However sometimes when I turn it on the screen is extremely dim and impossible to make out anything on it (prob how it was when i thought the screen wasn't working).

I am just wondering what I should check before I open it up....possible things
    (a) connection loose to motherboard/LCD screen
    (b) the sensor for sensing if lid is open/closed was moved when i opened up laptop and isn't working now.

Any other ideas? It's a dell inspiron N5110.
    Just looking for opinions before I open it up again!

Thanks,
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Possibly a dodgy connection to, or intermittent fault with inverter or backlight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Possibly a dodgy connection to, or intermittent fault with inverter or backlight

Yeah hoping it was a loose conection, wasn't sure if inetermittent faults were likely with the backlight or invertor. Dell did say they'd send out an enigeer to diagnose for free...and if it was through accidental damage (which it was) they'd give a no obligation quote....so I might as well get them to have a look and see...if I know what's wrong I can try replacing myself if quote too high!

It's an inspiron N5110 and the inverter seems to be part of LCD, but any LCD's on ebay have no invertor included!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

was working on a laptop with a similar problem to this.
    The customer had said he'd had stuff like this happening for 2 weeks, then the screen went completely.
    So of course i took it apart to have a look at it, and the cable for the screen was completely out of the inverter, i'd never seen it before.
    Very strange to see a cable come completely out.

When its free you may as well get them to take a look, just make sure you don't get charged for a new screen if you don't need one.

Advertisement