Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best type of Lenovo?

Options
  • 07-08-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new laptop over the next few days. I'm a postgrad student and my current heap of crap won't last another month.

I have been researching Lenovo and they seem to be durable and reliable, which is what I am looking for. I mainly need the laptop (15-16inch screen, 4GB RAM, Intel Processor) for working on assignments/projects/thesis for the next two years. (Something that can also handle music/torrenting and light gaming would be a bonus) Something lightweight would be good as I'll be carrying it about.
    My price range is around 450/500 euro depending on the features.

I really haven't a clue what is the best one to get for what I need. I have been looking at the ThinkPad E531.

I would also be open to other manufacturers, but there is so much to choose from. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The best type of Lenovo still starts with a T... if you like something flashy, then it'd be the X carbon kinda Thinkpad. Certainly not the E series, that's budget material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭gooner99

hi. just ordered a thinkpad edge e531 myself. I can claim the vat so got a nice spec for 470 after discount and vat. i3, 500gb disk, 8gb ram, full hd screen, upgraded battery and 2 years warranty. the 10% discount is on till end of august. there is also the lenovo outlet and I found a code for there too. I did a lot of looking and even though the e531 is pretty new it offered good bang for the buck and although its not a fully fledged thinkpad it should be sturdy enough. we only use it around the house for accounts, web, etc.saveonlaptops sell them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

T or X for me.

Keep an eye on the outlet section on lenovo.com. I picked up an x230 for 695, 300 cheaper than the main site!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 twillerbee

I know you guys are saying T or X are the best, but they're much more expensive than I was looking at (I'd have similiar budget 400-500) - would you recommend the E series, such as the E531 or the G series such as the G580.. the E531 seems to be from the Thinkpad section and the G580 seems to be from the Essential section... would I right to think the Thinkpad section has a better standard than the Essential section, if the processor and ram are similiar?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

The E or Thinkpad Edge series is a good spec for college work. You could extend to an Ideapad or U310 which at the moment is quite reasonable on Saveonlaptops.
    The Edge series are weighty and have a DVD drive, the U310/410 are Ultrabook with no DVD drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

twillerbee wrote: »
    I know you guys are saying T or X are the best, but they're much more expensive than I was looking at (I'd have similiar budget 400-500) - would you recommend the E series, such as the E531 or the G series such as the G580.. the E531 seems to be from the Thinkpad section and the G580 seems to be from the Essential section... would I right to think the Thinkpad section has a better standard than the Essential section, if the processor and ram are similiar?

Thanks

Under the hood, you'll find pretty much the same specs with any series of Lenovo laptops, however, the best build quality, keyboards and displays you'll only get with the T series. They are build to last.

If you're looking after your laptop and don't toss it around, you might as well get a consumer laptop of the G or Z series. The E series is a budget laptop aimed at businesses, you'll pay some extra cash for extended support.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 twillerbee

Thanks for the reply Torqay

Advertisement