Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA III World Record Speed Run

Options
  • 07-08-2013 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭

It really is sickening how good this guy is. Picked up a few tips though.

I also advise the sound being turned off. He constantly changes between the worst stations in the game.

Four parts, the next three should be linked in it.

I'm usually about halfway through the first island by the time he finishes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Yeah but how many times did he complete it before trying his speed run? even in IV, you could pre empt and shorten some missions by having a particular gun, parking your car in a particular direction or shooting out a tyre of your enemies escape car before triggering a cutscene etc. Figuring that out yourself just meant replaying the same missions trying out different things alot. It costs a lot of money to buy GTA, I'd rather it took me longer to complete it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

guttenberg wrote: »
    Yeah but how many times did he complete it before trying his speed run? even in IV, you could pre empt and shorten some missions by having a particular gun, parking your car in a particular direction or shooting out a tyre of your enemies escape car before triggering a cutscene etc. Figuring that out yourself just meant replaying the same missions trying out different things alot. It costs a lot of money to buy GTA, I'd rather it took me longer to complete it:D

You still have to actually do it. If you die or get busted or fail even once, you pretty much have to restart. Imagine failing the last mission :pac:

The Vice City record is surprisingly close. Only ~1:30. Thought it would be much higher than III but I guess not. Don't know about San Andreas but the best I could find for IV was over four hours so I didn't bother watching that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Procyon

The SA record is over six hours. Here's a link to the then world record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FI-gniQgNQ

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Are you aware of what a speed run is?

Sort of required to know every single inch of the game before trying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I am. I'm just not that impressed with the achievement, given enough time and dedication most gamers should be able to get reasonably decent times close enough to the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Speed runs always make me feel inadequeate for how long it takes me to do the same thing!:pac:

Are the GTA games considered that technically hard? Looking at the "missions you hate" it seems they are more fiddly tricky than really tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'd imagine 3 is easiest for speed runs. That game has the smallest variety of mission types. Practically everything is some variation of "drive somewhere, shoot somebody". VC and SA are definitely more fiddly as they introduced more complex mechanics.

I think the vigilante/ambulance/fire missions are integral to the game. Spending an hour in an ambulance just to last an extra split second in a fire fight is strangely satisfying

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I am. I'm just not that impressed with the achievement, given enough time and dedication most gamers should be able to get reasonably decent times close enough to the record.

Off you go so and if you come back with a <2 hours time, I'd be mightily impressed. :p

Was watching some speed runners in action for that gaming marathon and their knowledge of their chosen games is at times frightening. Cool bunch of nerds though, they seem to be a fun community.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Off you go so and if you come back with a <2 hours time, I'd be mightily impressed. :p

Was watching some speed runners in action for that gaming marathon and their knowledge of their chosen games is at times frightening. Cool bunch of nerds though, they seem to be a fun community.

I've been watching more and more of them lately and often find myself thinking: "Why is he doin...... ohhhhhhh that's good!" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

The single segment GTA III speedrun is far more impressive though.

Vice city is HORRIBLE to speedrun because of car randomness in sunshine autos (which is required to complete the run)

It's 10 minutes longer, I dont see how that is more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Its done in a single segment - the other run is able to save and load accordingly so he can redo segments that go bad - not having to repeat the whole run. If anything, that makes the other run's time pretty bad tbh.

N64 wrote: »
    Its done in a single segment - the other run is able to save and load accordingly so he can redo segments that go bad - not having to repeat the whole run. If anything, that makes the other run's time pretty bad tbh.

I dont agree at all. There is nothing to suggest that he/she re-did any of the four parts. Simple fact is the game was finished in less time. That's all that matters. Going and saving even makes it longer.

If the first time is bad, the one you posted is shockingly bad. An extra 10 minutes and that without having to go and save? The amature :pac:

Advertisement